Storyline 360 freezing?

May 05, 2017

Hello all, 

Last time I posted on one of these I got my problems solved so hoping that happens again!

Every single day this week my Storyline 360 has been freezing up at least once a day, over very minute tasks such as resizing/moving a shape or taking something from the icon library. It is very frustrating and causing me to lose work constantly. Anyone else having that issue?

Also I am not one of those people who has several storyline files open at once or even many programs open at once! I usually have a Word doc, SL 360, Chrome and a few images open at once, that's all. 

Hope someone can help. I am going to run a virus scan and see if that's a possibility.

Thanks

63 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Eric,

Uh oh! I don't see a case under the email you're using here within the Community. Did you see the prompt after the case submission that it was successful? It sounds like it may not have gone through - look for that and then you'll receive an email automatically as well. You can connect with our Support Team here and if you're logged into your Articulate ID, you'll also see the Live Chat option as a 360 Teams customer!

Emily Marble

I ended up submitting a case and it was answered for the first time in months, and I also submitted the text I put in the case in the "submit a request feature" to ensure it wasn't missed.  I work with extremely LARGE files, so I am hoping / thinking that they failed to upload and the cases I have submitted the past few months never arrived at the proper destination.  

My issue that caused the freezing was having way too many objects on a slide to simulate animation.  An increased number of objects can really bog the program down, no matter how much of a powerhouse your laptop / machine is.  I lost several days of work on a project as well as coworkers in my IT department who painstakingly went through my computer to ensure it wasn't a machine problem.  I had a meeting one on one with an articulate support member and we had great conversation and were able to devise a solution to get my deliverable moving in the right direction again.  

Thanks, wanted to provide a public update given this freezing issue.  Hope it helps!

Justine Swain

I also have this issue, but over the last 6-8 weeks i have narrowed it down to an anti virus conflict when the Articulate 360 updater process is running in the background.  MY AV is picking up the updater file as infected with malware, and is halting A360.

This also gives me the  issue that i cant run the check for updates process, and cannot install SL360 updates for either the live of my beta version; my AV blocks them every time as suspicious behaviour.

I have had the same AV software for 3 years, and have never had this issue before,. it has only started occurring for me this year.

I have logged a support case this morning, as it is getting progressively worse and preventing me from opening SL and doing my work.  I am a freelancer without company restrictions and policies, so i know that is not the issue, and have had an IT technician look at my PC to resolve nay other issues.  Basically my AV and A360 do not play nice anymore, and this causes some really odd behaviour when i can open SL.

Jay Cooper

My colleagues and I have been experiencing these same issues starting about 2-months ago.  Any time we attempt to cut/copy/duplicate an object (text, shape, image, etc.) on a slide Storyline locks up.  I'm able to copy/paste object names from the timeline, duplicate slides, etc. without any issue...it's only when we try to cut/copy/duplicate a slide object.

Every so often though, the problems will magically disappear.  I say magically because we didn't knowingly do anything that would fix the problem.  And, unfortunately, the problems always come back.  I'm also afraid the issue may expand.  Yesterday I was adjusting the corner radius on a rounded rectangle and that seems to have frozen the program.

My team has been using Articulate for about a year now and everyone likes it alot, but this problem is a deal-breaker.  It's taking me at least twice as long to build a course file since I have to rebuild recurring objects instead of just copying them.  If this problem doesn't get fixed soon, my recommendation to my boss is going to be to drop our licenses and go back to Captivate.

Mary M

I'm using Storyline 360 which keeps freezing and I cannot complete any task such as insert/move/copy/paste or duplicate in respect of objects - nor can I group items.  I've had no problems until the recent SL 360 Version update 3.52.25156.0.  Reverted back to previous SL 360 version 3.51.24979.0 problem still occurs. Uninstalled and reinstalled SL360 yesterday and today.  I’ve already copied files and this has made no difference.  I’ve conducted two computer diagnostic and optimization tests with clean reboots and the moment I access and try to work in SL 360, it freezes again.  Navigating from slide to slide creates a significant delay before the function occurs.  Eventually, the light blue swirling circle (save feature) appears, SL 360 is frozen yet again when that appears.  Sometimes, I receive a message from Windows stating that the Storyline program is not responding.  I have also checked and rechecked Windows 10 Update (currently 21H1) and all is okay.  Can you please help, I cannot have a third day without being able to work on this project, with two more pending?

Mary M

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for following up. I have since resolved the problem by deleting the slide(s) in question and reworking them. This seems to have eliminated the problem for the moment. The only issue I have now is the slow/delayed response times when working with objects on layers and triggers.

Mary