Storyline 360 - How to reset custom Submit button for incorrect answers

Mar 25, 2022

Hi everyone! Sorry for the lengthy post - this is the first time I've tried to create this type of interaction.

I’ve created a simulation where learners go through and select either a hotspot or type in the correct information. There is a criteria button learners can select to bring up a lightbox with helpful information.

The main feedback received from reviewers concerned the two-step process of having to select or type in the correct information and then selecting submit. Learners were selecting an option and getting the rotating hourglass and waiting for further instruction even though instructions are given on the first slide of how the process works. Feedback was also given that the submit button on the player is too small.

This is what I’ve changed so far. The criteria button was originally in the lower right corner. I have moved it up into the right hand corner. In its place is now a custom submit button for better visibility. What I can’t figure out is how to have the slide reset if a learner selects or types in an incorrect answer.

For the instructions on how to select and submit, would it better to provide additional audio on each slide that adds “then click Submit?”

Any feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated.

2 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Rachelle.

Thank you for sharing your .story file!

What I can't figure out is how to have the slide reset if a learner selects or types in an incorrect answer.

Once the learner gets to the Try Again layer and clicks continue, they can select a different option and submit. Your custom Submit button doesn't show up again because it's on a layer that gets called only when the timeline starts. 

A solution here would be to use a trigger to jump to the same slide when the user clicks continue, instead of hiding the Try Again layer. 

Windows 10 (1) 2022-03-31 at 4.24.40 PM

Let me know if this works!