Storyline 360: Quiz Question Responses Shift Slightly on Hover

May 15, 2019

Has anyone run into a strange issue that upon publishing and loading a course to your LMS (we use Saba), some responses to quiz questions shift ever so slightly on hover or when selected? The course was originally built in Storyline 2, and this was not an issue. It is also not an issue when previewing within Storyline. However, when taking the course as a learner, the random shifting of words is quite annoying. It's not consistent; some question slides are fine. And within one slide, not all answers necessarily shift. 

The way it functions, I would have guessed that the states had been edited and that the hover or selected states had the text moved a pixel or two. But this is not the case. Any ideas or at least confirmation that I'm not crazy would be helpful. :)

Thanks,

Tessa

52 Replies
Tessa Maki

Thanks for the suggestion, Wendy! From all of my review, there is nothing in the size or position of the boxes or in the text itself that is causing it. This seems to be supported by the fact that the issue does not appear in the SL preview, only in the published version in our LMS. I've attached several gifs that (if they work) show the shift when the course is taken in our LMS, the lack of shift in SL preview, and then I click through the various states to edit in SL that also show no shift.

I also experienced the shifting behavior in Articulate Review, but thought it may be a glitch in that system. I'm perplexed, especially since it doesn't happen on all questions or all responses. 

Kevan Fireheart

Was this ever resolved? Any quiz I've ever made this has happened. I don't resize anything and have always used the default templates for quiz creation.

With these kind of threads they always seem to end with "We'll look into it" and then nothing, no resolution or reply to help other people out who may have the same problem. What did you find out, if anything?

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Kevan!

So sorry you're also encountering this issue. While I don't have a solution to share from Tessa's scenario at this time, I'm happy to work closely with you to sort what's happening here!

To help me dig deeper, we'll need to start fresh and gather these key details:

• What version of Storyline are you using? Also, what quiz type(s) are you applying?
  • Do you notice the shift during Preview, in the published output, or both?
  • Do you have a sample file that shows the issue? If so, I'd love to take a closer look. You can share that file with me privately right here, and I'll delete it after troubleshooting.
Kevan Fireheart

Hi Katie,

First of all thank you for taking the time to look into this.

I am using Storyline360 and creating a question draw from a databank. There is a mixture of True/False, Multiple Choice, Multiple Choice with multiple answers and Fill in the Blank.

The multiple choice questions are where this hover jitter happens. The problem appears in preview mode, to a lesser degree, and is much more pronounced in the published version. During preview mode it seems like more often than not that the correct answer is the one that moves when it is hovered over. In the published version all of the answers move on hover.

I uploaded a file for you to take a look at.

Thanks again.

Tessa Maki

Sorry that I haven't been able to do any follow up on this. Unfortunately it's not a file that I can share. I can attempt to strip it down to one question to see if it does the same thing, but with other priorities right now I don't know when I will have time. I hope that you are able to find a resolution, Kevan!

Katie Riggio

Good morning, Kevan and Tessa – and those following this discussion!

We can reproduce the issue where text within multiple choice text boxes becomes jittery when hovering a mouse over it, and logged it as a possible bug. 

Appreciate you bringing this oddity to our attention! I'll tag this discussion, and keep everyone posted as new information becomes available. Here's an inside look at how we tackle bugs like this one! 

Gerry Wasiluk

I've seen this quite a bit lately, especially when you resize the question box area.  Usually the hover state for one or more of the question choices has a size that is different from the answer's other states. 

It happens more often when you reduce the width of the question box area.  But I've also seen weird things happen when you reduce the width and then expand it out again.

When that happens, the fix I use is as follows:  Select the question box area and get the width (right-click on it and choose Size and Position).  Then select one of the answers itself.  Get its size, both width and height.  Then edit each of the states for that answer, checking its size--again, both the width and height for each state of the answer.

Usually, you'll find the hover size is off--usually the width is off but sometimes the height may also be.  Make sure all states for an answer have the same width and height.  Do this for all the answers.

That'll usually fix things.  Granted, the fix is a bit of a pain.  :(

Let me know if you get that or not.  If not, I'll create a video.

We identified this issue for beta testing of SL360 sometime last year and things seem to get better for a while--but in the last release or so, things are back to be "wonky."  Vanessa in QA should know of this.

IMVHO, we should be able to resize the question box area and SL accommodate that appropriately, accurately adjusting the sizes of each answer's states.

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Javier!

Thanks for checking in and I'm sorry you've come across this. Our team is still investigating this issue, and we'll keep this discussion updated on any new developments. 

In the meantime, we're happy to troubleshoot your project to see if there are any approaches we can offer. If you're able to share the .story file, please use this private upload link. We'll do a deep dive and delete the file after!

Robi Calderaro

Hi,

I discovered that I need to edit shape, and the do not resize the text box, plus changing the size. It looks good in edit states, but then it still changes on hoover. I even make sure that paragraph settings are the same, and yet, the hover state changes, every so slightly, but it drives me crazy!

I hope they fix it or find a work-around :)

Robi

Ren Gomez
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to pop in here and let you know that the issue you were running into with radio buttons shifting and shaking was fixed in Update 36 for Storyline 360.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly. 
Shane Leonard

Issue persists for me in latest version of SL360. Hover state just shifts text by a pixel or so.
Using modern player which scales result to fill browser window. Could be that the states scale slightly differently when the publish process renders the project to HTML5? Dunno.
But still an issue.

Ren Gomez

Hi Shane,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and I'm sorry this issue is coming up for you again!

I've opened a case on your behalf with our support engineers to dig a little further into what you're experiencing and confirm if this bug has indeed returned!

Do you mind sharing a .story file or video of what you're seeing using your personal upload link here? This will help us dive into it more quickly and get back to you with our results.

Thanks again, and we'll be in touch after we're done testing!

Ren Gomez

Hi Taylor,

Thanks for letting us know this issue still appears for you as well! If possible, could you share an offending slide with us and other details like the publishing environment using the link below?

This will help us get to the root of the problem and confirm if the issue is outstanding. Thanks!

Marie Parker

Hi , this is a really interesting conversation as I am experiencing something similar. My text does not shift, but when hovering it becomes darker in colour? Which in itself is strange as the text should just be standard black.

Again this is only in the published version - not in the preview on storyline.

I have checked my states, they all have the exact same text/colour/size.

I am using Storyline 2. This is a recent development, and is now occurring on courses that I published months/years ago. It's not just on recent projects I have published.

Can you advise further on how to fix this?

Katie Riggio

Hello Meredith!

Thanks for taking the time to share your research with us.

Have you had a chance to connect with your Cornerstone team regarding this? Since the course works correctly in SCORM Cloud and locally, they'll be best equipped to help you move forward.

To save you some time, here's where you can send your findings in:

If Cornerstone's team needs any info from our side, just let us know