Storyline 360: Spellcheck does not look at Closed Captions.

Dec 07, 2017

Storyline 360 on Windows 7 64 bit OS

I tested mispelled words in a Closed Caption text box and discovered that spellcheck does not catch them.

Is this by design? Is there an options box to check that forces spellcheck to look at captions? If not, is there any plan to have spellcheck "look to" the Closed Captions text in future updates?

Thanks

K

18 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Katie.  Great question.  The spell checker in Storyline 360 doesn't check spellings for closed captions. 

Are your closed captions coming from Notes text on the slide, or are you manually creating them with the closed caption editor?

I can definitely see how it would be a good feature to have. I’ll share your suggestion with our development team!

Emily Marble

This is a huge problem for me as well.  I haven't always been the best speller, had some issues with dyslexia and the closed caption edits eat up so much time.  I'm sad to see this was a feature requested 3 years ago and is still unavailable.  Any updates on when this will be included as a feature?

Ren Gomez

Hi Sarah,

I appreciate you chiming in here as well for this feature and can appreciate the need for it. We don't currently have any plans on our roadmap for it, but I'll be sure to add your insights to the report and pop back in here when there any news to share.

Here's a bit more about how we work to prioritize feature requests.

Rebecca Winnier

Another vote for spell checking ALL text in Storyline --- but until then, here's my work around for  when I have to manually create the captions: 

1. In SL I open "Edit Captions".
  2. I open a Word document.
  3. I click on the caption box in SL so it reads the words for each block but instead of typing in the box, I do my typing in Word with a hard return after each block is read.
  4. When all the audio has been transcribed, I fix the spelling errors in Word and then cut-and-paste line by line into the captions box in SL.

Typing in Word is an extra step (and sometimes I lose track of where my cursor is) but I know the words are spelled correctly and I don't have to proof-read each slide for typos.

Vera Michaels

Yes this is a workaround.
This means for each and every slide (sometimes there are over 100 in a course) I have to open each closed captioning one by one and perform this function possibly 100 or more times. Where as Captivate spell checks all elements with one click. There has got to be a better way. I'm sure you would agree.

Vera Michaels
Manager of Learning and Development
Mobile: 562.499.9668 | Office: 916.827.2744
Vera.Michaels@cloudmed.com

Cloudmed.com
Follow Cloudmed on LinkedIn

Cloudmed is 2022 and 2021 Best in KLAS: Robotic Process Automation and was awarded 2021 Best In KLAS: Revenue Integrity/Underpayment Services. Our solution suites have HFMA Peer Reviewed* status and are HITRUST certified.

* HFMA staff and volunteers determined that this product has met specific criteria developed under the HFMA Peer Review Process. HFMA does not endorse or guarantee the use of this product.

Confidentiality Notice: This email message and any accompanying documents is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution, or copying is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact our office by email or telephone at 1-855-252-7606 and immediately destroy all copies of the original message.

Rebecca Winnier

I'm new to closed captions so maybe don't understand but I'm opening the edit captions on each slide anyway to add the text. Is there another way to manually add closed caption text to the slide without opening the "edit captions"  on each slide? I know there is a way to import captions but I haven't done it that way yet - I assume that text would be checked for spelling errors before importing. Is that not how it works?

Vera Michaels

You are right, the only way to add closed captioning is to click the checkbox in the Text to Speech or to manually add the text into each closed captioning window.

Captivate is another authoring tool and with one click of their Spell Check button it will spell check all text, on the slide or in the closed captioning all at once. I wish Storyline had the same functionality.

Vera Michaels
Manager of Learning and Development
Mobile: 562.499.9668 | Office: 916.827.2744
Vera.Michaels@cloudmed.com

Cloudmed.com
Follow Cloudmed on LinkedIn

Cloudmed is 2022 and 2021 Best in KLAS: Robotic Process Automation and was awarded 2021 Best In KLAS: Revenue Integrity/Underpayment Services. Our solution suites have HFMA Peer Reviewed* status and are HITRUST certified.

* HFMA staff and volunteers determined that this product has met specific criteria developed under the HFMA Peer Review Process. HFMA does not endorse or guarantee the use of this product.

Confidentiality Notice: This email message and any accompanying documents is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution, or copying is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact our office by email or telephone at 1-855-252-7606 and immediately destroy all copies of the original message.