Storyline 360 - video replay's every time when we try to click on the seekbar in chrome

Jul 27, 2018

Hi,

Im working on a project where there are many video slides and few normal text slides. We have modified in such a way that the video slides has seekbar and i have enabled the seekbar so that the video can be moved back and forth. I have published the project for Scorm 1.2 and given to the client. The client had uploaded it in their LMS which is called as Success Factor. We are facing few problems when we run this project in chrome, IE 11 and Edge with Success Factor LMS.

1. The problem happens when the user tries to move the seekbar back and forth. When the user try and click any part of the seekbar, the video replays from starting. This problem happens only in chrome and the chrome version is "Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)". 

2. In the project there are more than 1 video slides. Always the first video loads but the 2nd video doesn't load at all and we are getting a blank white screen and the seekbar moves. This also happens only in chrome.

3. Once the project is completed and when we try to review the entire project, the video gets loaded without any problem in chrome.

4. In IE 11 and Edge, if we try to click on the seekbar, the video doesn't replay but hangs for few sec and starts to play. But sometimes, the video gets frozen and couldn't able to move forward and this issue is random.

All the above issue happens only if the course is loaded from the client side LMS which is Success Factor.  I tried to upload the same course in scorm cloud and it worked perfectly in all the browsers.

So i need your advice on what will be the problem and how to solve it.

Regards,

Victor.

65 Replies
Mike Song

OK.  I am working on a work around.  When editing a video in Articulate you can slide the endmost point of the video to the time that the video is supposed to end.  Then you slide the END button to that same point.   Then the video doesn't reset to start for me.  Also, sometimes I could slide video end to the left...and other times it seemed locked.  So I shut down restarted it...slid everything to the proper end time and then my problem was solved...but I am uploading now to the LMS to see if it really was solved.  Clues...

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Tiffany. Does the seekbar not function at all, or are you finding that clicking or scrubbing the seekbar does something unexpected?

We're happy to test your file in SCORM Cloud, which is a neutral LMS environment for comparison. We can better identify if there's a bug or if there's something in the course we can change. Let me know what you think?!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tiffany,

The free version of SCORM Cloud does have a 100MB limit, but our team is happy to test it too in our account. Can you send it along to our Support Team here? That upload form isn't limited for size.  Also, if you want to share a video, you can take a Peek of the problem. You can include the "Share" link here in your reply or if you need to share that privately please send to our Support Engineers with your files to upload into SCORM Cloud too! 

Shahla Kerford

I am still having this issue. When I drag the seek bar to the end, my video replays. Does anyone know how this is resolved? What is odd for me that it's only a couple of videos out of 10) I have where this issue still happens. I have even deleted the slide and re-imported the video to see if tht works and it doesn't. Thank you!

Ren Gomez

Hi Shahla,

Sorry to hear you're coming across this issue! A few questions to dig a little deeper:

• What version of Storyline are you using?
  • Are you publishing to the web, LMS, or Articulate Online?

If you're publishing to LMS, you may want to try testing your file in SCORM Cloud as well to see if it works properly. Or with your permission, we could also test your file to see if we can replicate.

Martin Larsen
Mike Song

OK.  I am working on a work around.  When editing a video in Articulate you can slide the endmost point of the video to the time that the video is supposed to end.  Then you slide the END button to that same point.   Then the video doesn't reset to start for me.  Also, sometimes I could slide video end to the left...and other times it seemed locked.  So I shut down restarted it...slid everything to the proper end time and then my problem was solved...but I am uploading now to the LMS to see if it really was solved.  Clues...

Hi,

This is still an issue with the latest SL3 version to date.

I found the issue in almost all the videos (MP4) i insert in to my projects.

Huge thanks to Mike for providing a work around! Here is my work flow with the work around:

1. Insert the video to a slide

2. Find the exact length of the video (I just open the file in Windows Media Player)

3. I'll convert the length in to seconds (as the timeline in storyline is in seconds) 

4. Go to the timeline (it's in slide view) and drag the ending of the video to actual length.

Hope that helps. 

Becca Levan

Hello Malte,

Great call on starting a case with our support engineers! I see you've been working with my teammate Jan, and they've sent follow-up questions. Feel free to reply to Jan's follow-up if you still need help troubleshooting. We can continue communicating within your case to keep all the details in one place!

Jake Hurt

Hi, we are having this same issue with all videos and states on our slides. When clicking or dragging the seekbar it resets all states and replays videos from the start.

It does this in the Modern player but does not in the Classic player - there everything works fine.

Can you please give us a timeframe on when this issue will be fixed, looks like it has been going for a long time.

The Modern player doesn't seem that modern if it doesn't work properly...

Thanks

Lauren Connelly

Hi Jake!

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention! I don't see that we have this specifically logged for the Modern Player. We are still gathering more details on this snag, so I'd recommend connecting with a Support Engineer so that we can troubleshoot with you directly.

Thank you for your help with troubleshooting this issue!

Lauren Connelly

Hello Jessica!

Are you only seeing this issue where the video restarts when selecting the seek bar in Cornerstone, or does it happen when publishing the course for Web too?

Would you mind sharing your .story file so I can test the behavior on my end? You can attach it to this public discussion or upload it privately in a support case.