Storyline, Google Chrome, accessibility controls from browser

Jul 29, 2021

HI,

I have a quick question as I'm working on an accessibility piece for the company I work with.

At the moment, I have created a fully optimised course that will interreact with Google Chrome. I'm trying to get Google Chrome to adjust the text size in the course, but it's increasing the text size of everything in the player, except the text and font style in the actual course. 

Can I get some guidance / help on why this isn't working at the moment?

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/776bf4aa-acf0-4f82-88e5-4e413399bff5/review

Cheers, 

Dan 

12 Replies
Daniel Taylor

Hi Phil, thanks very much for responding. Yes to all of the above sadly - accessible text enabled and upgraded. It's just not formatting the text size and style in the course, player and subs are fine. (I've attached the project i'm working with. Also have a the latest version of Storyline updated.   

I have manged to get the scroll function working by toggling the accessible text switch on and off, as when I adjust text size in Chrome, it does adjust the line spacing, just not the size. 

Phil Mayor

Sadly I Amy be no further help here as I thought that was all you needed to do, must be missing something. I checked and they are set how I would do it and expected ctrl/cmd + +/- to increase the font but doesn't do anything apart from aiming the player fonts increase. Hoping Articulate can see why it isn't doing it.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing with this feature.

I would like to confirm a couple of things:

1. It looks like your video shows you viewing the content locally and the link is to Review 360. To properly test accessible text, please publish your course for web or LMS. Then upload the output to a server. Accessible text might not change as expected when viewing content on your local computer or in Review 360.
    Here is your file hosted on AWS for testing.
  2. Do you have an Accessiblity browser extension to increase your font size? We've used Helperbird for our demo here.
Daniel Taylor

@lesie

Hi, 

thanks for getting back to me on this, I've tested the link you provided through Google Chrome's accessibility settings and it's still increasing the line spacing and not the text size. (I've attached a video). It's also not allowing me to change the font style/typeface.

Will check out "Helperbird shortly.

If you could provide some further assistance or dates of when it would be working in Chrome, that would be great!

Thank you!

Dan

Barry Stoner

Hi all, 

I can confirm this is happening for me too.

The reason I'm looking is because Header text does not appear to be affected by custom styles when I use the free Stylebot accessibilty extension.

All paragraph text can be styled though. 

I'll check out Helperbird too and will report back how I get on. 

Thanks. 

Barry Stoner

Hello,

I've just checked with Helper bird and Header text can not be completely restyled either. Using Helper bird I should be able to set the Header text size independently of the paragraph text, but it does not work. 

I have to ask the question, why is text converted to SVG in the first place? Surely HTML text is the better option, especially if you want to make your product accessible.

Can you please check that it's possible to custom style Header text after you switch to Accessible text, as I cannot work out how to.

Thank you in advance. 

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Barry.

Thank you for sharing what you're experiencing with accessible text, and I'll make sure to discuss with the team your concerns and suggestions about how you'd like it to behave. 

I tested a sample project with Stylebot, and this is the behavior I observed:

helperbird 2022-07-13 at 11.45.24 AM

I was able to style the heading (H1) and paragraph (p) separately. While font color and type didn't work for me (but it could also be my lack of knowledge in the settings of Stylebot), font size and background color were some of the options I could change. 

Do you have a screenshot or a sample .story file we could take a look at?