Submit button not working properly

Aug 04, 2022

Hi everyone,

I have an assessment which features use of the in-built submit button Articulate offers, however, on occasions, I click this and it does not cause any reaction until I click it a dozen times. I'm noticing it on incorrect answers more, and it also is super temperamental. I can't see it happening for any particular type of question. Any remedies? 

The file is located here: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/ceb8df40-729d-4278-87e9-88f07115ee1d/review

Thanks in advance!

10 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Ayesha.

Thank you for sharing your .story file!

I noticed some of your questions have multiple attempts, but they don't have a Try Again feedback/layer.

When the user chooses the incorrect answer and submits it, they have four chances to try again, but no message is given until the final one is incorrect.

A simple fix would be changing the attempts to one or creating a Try Again layer. 

Let me know if that works!

Ayesha Chandra

Hi Maria,

My 'try again' layer is my incorrect layer. It's a 2-in-1 and this shows in the wording. Is that not acceptable?

5 attempts is necessary, but I want this to occur only at the completion of the entire assessment (how it is now). I also want it to not allow more than 5 attempts, and close after this point. I put a variable 'retake' on the final slide to allow this, but I'm not sure if it was done correctly.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Ayesha.

You can use the same feedback by duplicating your Incorrect layer and renaming it to Try Again.

On your Incorrect layer, you have a trigger that jumps to the next slide when the user clicks continue. You will need to delete that trigger on your Try Again layer, so it gives the user the option to re-attempt.

5 attempts is necessary, but I want this to occur only at the completion of the entire assessment

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking to do. Right now, you are giving each question five attempts. Once those five attempts are made (or they get the correct answer), the user moves to the next question. 

If this is not what you want to happen, you might want to try submitting all questions at once at the end. Take a look at the article below:

I hope this helps!

Ayesha Chandra

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your advice!

I have switched the 'submit' button with 'previous' and 'next' buttons for each question, and results at the end are still accurate. This is great because I want question re-attempts to occur at the conclusion of the assessment. The only issue is, learners are not able to view whether each answer is correct or incorrect after its individual completion. I tried putting in triggers to show the correct/try again layer under certain conditions when the user clicks next, this did not work. Any tips? 

I have attached the updated file.

I just want a learner to complete all 10 questions, re-attempt the incorrect ones at the end of each assessment attempt, but also know which ones they got right/wrong immediately after each individual question.

Thanks!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Ayesha, 

Thank for sharing your project file. 

I can see that you setup your question slides to 'Jump to the next slide' immediately after your learners enter their answers. 

Note that you'll need to submit the interaction in the slide if you'd like to see the corresponding feedback for the entered answer. Instead of using the 'Jump to slide' trigger, you can swap this with the 'Submit interaction' trigger instead to allow your learners to enter an answer, and receive feedback for the question. 

Your learners will still need to click on the next arrow in the player, but this will now have a double purpose of serving as a 'Submit' button as well.

Ayesha Chandra

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply, the screenshots were super helpful.

I have actioned the above and feedback per question now shows, except now I am able to skip questions (on and off), and I also can't stop attempts after 5 attempts? I know this is a separate issue, but are you able to provide any solution here?

Thankyou!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Ayesha, 

You'll need to recreate your 'Try Again' layers so that the 'Continue' button in the layer hides the layer rather than navigating your learners to the next slide. Please see the screenshot here: 

You'll want to pattern your 'Try Again ' layers on the default 'Try Again' layers of basic question slides: 

Let me know if this works for you!

Walt Hamilton

I made a couple of simple changes, and I think it works the way you describe what you want. The learner answers all the questions, then goes back to retry only those they missed.

Select Q1, Q2, and Final Assessment slides, and Preview selected slides.

If that is what you want, go to Q2 slide, and on each of the layers, change the "Jump to ..." trigger to "Jump to Q3".

I only changed Q 1 and Q2, so you will need to change the others to match.

On Q1, there were duplicate layers, and I deleted some of those. On all slides, be sure that the "Jump to ..." trigger is below any other triggers.

Oh, I also made Q1 so that clicking on the colored spot beside the button also selects it. Just my personal preference as a user.  I also set all the feedback layers to hide base objects.

Any questions, ask.