Variables not working

May 29, 2020

Hey all - I have a slide (attached) which has 6 markers. Each marker is also linked to a variable that increments by "1" with each click. When the total count is > 10 (so the user has clicked 5 of the 6 markers twice), the "Continue" button needs to become active. I am just not able to get this going, and have spent the better part of the day trying everything I can think of to make it work. 

The irony in this whole effort is that the module deals with basic concepts about adult learning. Maybe I should add a section about learning through failure and frustration...

Any help to resolve (hooray!) *and explain* (three cheers AND a hooray) what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies
Walt Hamilton

When the learner hovers over a marker, it shows its hover state, which is built in to show the title. Then when they click on it, it expands to show its contents.  I applaud your thought to give the markers a visited state, so learners can tell which ones they have seen.

But why do they need 10 points? You can't see the contents (and the visited state doesn't show) until the marker is clicked. If there is some requirement to visit them twice, I couldn't find it in the instructions. So I'm recommending you go for five.

The real problem is that you've fallen for the programmers hoax (that someday they will correct in SL) that "state of " is an action.  It isn't, it is a condition, and only works in the "If" portion of triggers. Since the learner has to click the marker to read it, you can simply change the triggers to add to the count when the user clicks.

Joe Hauglie

Thank you Walt! I actually had the triggers set to add +1 to the variable as you describe, and started with five as you suggested. Then I found myself continually clicking and concluded that clicking the marker twice might be the actual interaction; that's how I came up with 10. I will reset it to five and see how that does.

Lauren Connelly

Hello Walt and J!

We released another update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.52.25156.0) today, which included a fix for the bug where a trigger that changed the state of an object after visiting other objects didn't work when the trigger was on a layer.

Update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app to take advantage of the newest fixes and features.

If you have any questions, you can reach our team in this discussion or in a support case.