Video cannot be encoded error in Storyline 360

Mar 30, 2021

Hi! I am trying to edit videos I downloaded from the Content Library in Storyline 360, but keep getting the error message "the video cannot be encoded." I have uninstalled Storyline 360 and reinstalled it, but I'm still having a problem. 

Suggestions on next steps greatly appreciated!

Chris

14 Replies
Becca Levan

Sorry to hear you're coming across this error message, Sylvia!

If you're already working on your project locally, I'd recommend trying a repair of Storyline 360 first. If you still see the error after a repair, reach out to one of our support engineers to dig a little deeper into why those videos aren't encoding. We'll be in touch soon after we hear from you!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Grace,

Sorry to hear that you ran into this issue too. If you're seeing this behavior happen to only one video, and you've already tried the troubleshooting steps that were previously suggested, would you be willing to share a copy of the affected video file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!

Jose Tansengco

Hello Adrian, 

Happy to chime in!

Storyline 360 hasn't been moved to the cloud, but it does require an active internet connection to use certain features. Whenever you add a video from Content Library 360 to your project, a local copy is downloaded and saved to the project itself. This is the copy that Storyline 360 edits. 

If you're seeing errors when editing videos in your course, try repairing your Storyline 360 to resolve the behavior. If the issue persists, please open a case with our support team here.