MP4 video with chapters in rise360

Jul 07, 2022

Dear all,

I'm wondering if there is a solution for a training request I just received.
The final thing we need is a video with chapters that automatically stops after finishing each chapter. So in my mind it would be:

- an MP4 file in a rise360 course
- the MP4 video has chapters for every step (i.e. putting a IKEA cupboard together like described in the picture manual - just in a live video now).
- to follow the single steps, the video stops after each chapter and waits to press "play" again or press "any key". Also, jumping back and force in the video should be possible.
- each chapter has a name to describe the content in a few words.

Has anybody ever created such a video manual with articulate? Maybe if not possible in a MP4 video, this could be done in storyline?
May this be an idea for future development in rise360 as well?

Every little hint is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance and best regards

Andreas Ramschulte

5 Replies
Sarah Hodge

Hey Andreas! Thanks for posting your question here! I have a few ideas to throw out there in case they work for ya:

Option 1 – Rise 360 course using multiple videos

Edit the video into multiple videos, one for each chapter. Use the chapter names as the lesson titles to make it easy to navigate and see each topic. Within each lesson/chapter, add the video along with any steps or content that goes along with that topic.  

Here’s an example of a Rise 360 course with multiple videos. This one shows the entire video in each lesson, but you can see how easy it is to add content right below that speaks to what the learner just watched. Then they can move onto the next chapter/lesson.

Option 2 – Storyline 360 as one video with triggers

If you need to keep it as one video, then Storyline 360 is your best bet. You can add triggers to pause the video so you can add content or pop-ups as needed. Then, the learner can resume the video after viewing the content.

In this Storyline 360 example, there’s a dropdown that allows the learner to select a topic. You can easily edit this to be chapters. You can download this template in the top right, but you’ll need to add triggers to pause the video to show the content you plan on also adding. If you add any content or pop-ups, be sure to add a continue button or a resume video button on the screen to resume the video when they click it so the learner doesn’t have to figure out where to click after viewing the content.

If you go this route, you can keep your entire course in Storyline 360 or, if you need this to be part of a Rise 360 course, you can add it using the Storyline block. Here's some more info on how to do that.  

I hope that sparks some new ideas!

Michele Valkov

Hello Sarah!  

I have a different but related question.

I don't need the video to stop.  But, how can we get a single video to play in Rise where the user can simply scrub along to title/chapter markers that pop up like in Youtube.  (We cannot host our videos on Youtube.)   But this seems so essential for creating learning experiences for audiences of different interests/levels--they can go exactly to what they need in the video.  I'm trying to save space by not including topic lists with video timestamps beneath the video. 

Tech Smith's Camtasia has this feature in their video editing system but you have to use their server to host the video.  You can export theirs locally as well but there are issues with working with an LMS.  Ultimately, if you create chapters in most video editing programs, they will not appear on export except on Youtube or that systems proprietary platform.

Please let me know if I'm missing a feature you have in your player that achieves this.  Or can you tell me if this will be included in a new release?  

Thanks!