Question slides - Narration & 508

Jul 18, 2022

I'm working towards getting a course more accessible. I've read A LOT, but I can't seem to find much that pertains specifically to question slides. For instance, I have a question like this. I know it should be narrated for accessibility, but how do you go about narrating the choices? I could see maybe turning off the shuffle and narrating the responses as part of the question's narration? 

Additionally, do you usually let the narration play like a regular slide, or do you put a "click to listen" type button on the slide?

6 Replies
Rubina Pak

For wordy answer options, I let the screen reader pick up the answer options. So, in this case, I would use the narration (text to speech) to read the question. Then I would add something like...please make your selection from the answer options and click the submit button...something like that. I make both the question and answers accessible. So a person who is using a screen reader can move at their own pace, going between the options before clicking the submit button. If there is a better way to do this, then I am open to suggestions.

Thaddeus Ashcliffe

The best way to find out is to try out a screen reader software yourself.  There are free ones like https://www.nvaccess.org/

Also alot of smart phones, including every iphone, has smart reader software already in it.  If like me you use an iphone drag 2 fingers down from near the top of the screen to have it read your review 360 link.