Forum Discussion

NatalieGraham-e
Community Member
5 years ago

Adding image captions to images within tabs

Hi everyone, is there a way to add captions to images within tabs in Rise? 

In accordion tabs, standard tabs, and process blocks there is no option to add captions as there is when working with a single image or an image gallery. 

I can "fake" a caption by adding the text underneath my body text within the tab, but this is not ideal.

• This is one more basic functionality in an Articulate product that has been flagged and requested in these forums for years and there does not seem to be any interest in addressing it.

The very basic ability to add captions/credits to images is available for block types in Images and Galleries, but is not available for any of the items in "Interactions" such as Accordions, Tabs or Flashcards.

Adding a text block below some of these to hold a credit does not work well as it would have to be credits for all tabs/accordion pages/cards at once for any images in the above tab set/accordion etc. Placing credits directly on images in an image editing app adds a lot of extra work, and does not allow linking to licenses. 

Using Alt tags for credits or captions is in interesting idea (and caption content would actually be consistent with their purpose for accessibility —not so much for credits) but alt tags are not visible except with a screen reader (or other software?). So, not useful for displaying credits. 

Are there any plans in the next update to Rise to add credit/text fields under images in tabs/accordions/flashcards?  

JoseTansengco
      Staff

Hi Lon,

You've raised some very good points on how this feature would be a welcome addition to Rise 360. I opened a feature request on your behalf to add your voice to our product board. Check out our product roadmap to see if this request gets added!

NaomiPusch-6dcb
        Community Member

Did this get added to the roadmap? I don't see it, but can't tell if it's already been on and now doesn't show...

• I have the same issue, adding it to the alt tag is not an option. I really would love to see this happen or to have the option of adding text right after the image right now it is completely impossible

ChrisBobrick
    Community Member

I have the exact same problem as Natalie. I am required to add a courtesy credit below images in timeline blocks; and there's a URL involved, so making the text part of the image isn't an option. 

JessMay
    Community Member

Natalie,

I have been having the same problem! I create online courses for a medical association, so I frequently need to use photos from sites like the CDC Public Health Image Library, which are public domain, but need to be given credit; however, I can only give credit in a caption for a photo inserted as a gallery item. I would prefer to chunk my text with photos in interactive blocks like tabs and accordions. Adding the caption in a photo editor is not a great option because, as you mentioned, the citation should have a hyperlink back to the website where you got it (not a typed URL that's several lines long and takes a lot of space away from the image, and is distracting). Using the alt text feature in lieu of a caption is not a great alternative, either, or the appropriate use for that feature.

I frequently have to forgo photos in my interactive blocks because I can't give credit in a caption. If there's a way to add this to the Rise wishlist, being able to caption photos in whatever type of block a photo can be inserted would be one of the top items for me!

JodyMonk
    Community Member

If not captions, is there a way to add alt text to images to make them more ADA complient? 

Renz_Sevilla
      Staff

Hi Jody! 

• Hit Edit on the top right on the Image Block
      • Under the Content tab, click Edit 
      • This will open a dropdown menu, click Edit Alt Tag
      • In the pop-up appears, type the alt text in the field

Hope that helps!

• Thanks for the update, Natalie! I'll open the floor to the community to share their ideas with you, too. 

• Hi Alyssa, 

Adding a caption in an image editor would help keep things looking consistent, but some of my image captions include hyperlinks to the image source so live text would be ideal.

Thanks anyway though!

• Hi Natalie!

Could you use an image editor or PowerPoint to add a small area of white space below the image? Here's how you could achieve that with PowerPoint:

• Insert the image on a PowerPoint slide.
    • Add a text box below the image, and type the caption text there.
    • Holding down the SHIFT key, select both the image and the text box. 
    • Right-click on the edge of the selection, and choose Save as Image.
    • Save the image to your hard drive. 

Let me know if that would be an option for you!