Forum Discussion

Spencer
Community Member
23 days ago

BUG: Storyline inputting random values in fields

I have encountered a bug within Storyline 360, which I can consistently trigger. I can't tell if it's another bug Storyline 360 has with states, or if its another bug Storyline 360 has with cropping, as both are prone to issues.

Here is a link to a video of the bug in real time.  (Google Drive)

Scenario: I have an image with X amount of states. Each state is identical, except for the position of the image. This isn't anything big or complex for Storyline 360. 

Now I need to 'Crop' said image, and consistently crop it across each state. That shouldn't be too hard either. I just go an select Picture Tools - Format > Size and Position Window > Crop from, and then enter the appropriate values. In this case; 1428, 224, 1209, 124.

Issue: However, that's where the error comes in. The first state/image crops without issue, and then I go to the second state/image and then mysteriously, and without reason, after inputting the value into the Crop from - Left field, Storyline will suddenly change the value to something entirely random (i.e.: 1428 to 4081), and only for that field. In turn, this also somehow causes issues with the image that may not even appear until after I close the window. This means I have to then hit undo several times, waiting for Storyline to undo each edit, and then redo everything for that state/image all over again.

For example: I am cropping each image with 1428, 224, 1209, 124. For some reason, Storyline edits the first number to be 4081, 224, 1209, 124. It has done this consistently with several other images and different values in the Crop From field. I even went as far as using a hotkey to try and work around it, and Storyline still forces random values to be inputted into the Crop from - Left field.

Additional Concerns: Aside from doubling the time of this already tedious task, this poses an additional concern and risk. After learning from Support that states can become corrupted and cause the course to act volatile, I'm worried that whatever issue Storyline is having with states and cropping might corrupt one of the states, and cause potential issues later on. 

Additionally, it has already caused some other states to change without prompt, such as to disproportionally resize, and even causing Storyline to crash altogether. To be clear; this issue isn't exclusive to this single image. It is occurring across any image with states that I try this with, and can be easily recreated in a new course. 

Spencer
    Community Member

Update: This issue has caused Storyline to crash at least seven times now. Specifically, when I have to 'Undo' more than once after its distorted the crop, it'll sometimes just cause Storyline 360 to completely crash, no pop-up or anything. 

KellyAuner
      Staff

Hi @SpencerWolf,

Thanks for reaching out!

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue and would like to thank you for providing these details and examples to help us better understand what you're seeing. I've opened a support case on your behalf so we can investigate what's going on. You'll be hearing from one of our Support Engineers soon via email.

Spencer
        Community Member

Thanks! I believe I can confirm, though still not entirely sure, that this issue is potentially causing Storyline states and objects to become corrupt, or volatile.

My reasoning is that after cropping an object and its states, I noticed some of the states had become disproportionately cropped by themselves, or after they had been correctly cropped. When clicking on them, they presented no bounding box. Even when clicking on the object outside of Edit States, its bounding box wouldn't highlight on the screen. Since I am able to easily recreate this issue with other images on blank projects, I'm speculating that its not the image or project, but an issue within Storyline itself.