Forum Discussion

BenHaizlip
Community Member
3 months ago

Controlling Motion Paths with a Slider

All, 

Hi. I've attached my file. I'm doing a proof of concept where I'm trying to control a motion path using a slider. If you look at my file, the first motion path is controlled using the play/pause/rewind buttons. I was asked if I could also build this using a slider so the learner would have better control and be able to inch the movement forward or backward at even smaller intervals. I've googled this and haven't found anything that gets me closer. Can anyone offer any help?

SteveGannon
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Instead of using motions paths, how about putting the object you want to control on a second slider? See the attached sample (second slide).

Using your sample, I created a second slider, and after some adjustments in size and positioning, I filled the thumb with your gradient square (I first exported the square image as a PNG). I removed the fill and border of the second slider's track so it would be hidden from view. Next, I added a trigger so that, as the first slider is dragged, the second slider would move accordingly.

Presumably, you don't want the user to actually drag the gradient square so I placed a 99% transparent white (no border) rectangle over the second slider (covering both the thumb and track) and I removed that slider from the focus order so user's couldn't tab to it with their keyboard and access it that way.

BenHaizlip
      Community Member

Steve, 
      Thanks! You've gotten me a lot closer to my goal and given me something I didn't have before. I really appreciate you taking time to help me out.

Many thanks.