Forum Discussion

CherylMorgenste
Community Member
7 years ago

Converting lessons into sections

Hello, I've started creating my first Rise course. I've decided that it would be better to make some of my lessons sections within other lessons. While I can change the order of the lessons, I don't see a way to change the lessons into a section and move them inside another lesson. Is there a way to change a lesson into a section?

Thanks for your help.

RobbiMuniz
    Community Member

You have to be just perfect on the name you just typed when you do the Shift+Enter.  If you click somewhere outside the letters it won't work.  It took me a couple tries as well.   I found it worked best if I added the lesson, typed the name, hit Enter, then clicked on the name (which highlighted it), then hold the Shift+Enter. 

• Hi there, Cheryl.  It's always great to have one of those design epiphanies that makes your course flow that much better.  Let me see if I can clarify what is possible in terms of moving around your lessons in Rise.

• You can add sections to your course at any time.  Simply go to add a new lesson title, and hold CTRL + Enter to make it a section title!  Then drag the relevant lessons into that section, in any order you'd like:

• Maybe you created some blocks lessons that you'd like to reuse or combine with other blocks lessons.  Try block templates!  You can recycle one or several blocks into the same lesson, or even in other lessons.

Prebuilt lessons are standalone, so they'll always show as unique lessons in your Rise course.  I hope that helps give you some organization ideas!

KarlMuller
    Community Member

Rise courses do not have a hierarchy or structure, which means that all Lessons and Sections are created at the same level.

You can create Sections to help organize your course, but Sections are no more than labels that can be used to visually group several Lessons.

SJSomarriba
    Community Member

If anyone has a MAC and can't get this to work - it is different. Shift + Return will create a new section on a Mac using Rise. Commend + Enter is what works to just add a lesson (which says Shift + Enter on RIse but that is incorrect for Macs - at least mine).

SusanGregory
    Community Member

I tried the steps above and it is not working for me.  Any suggestions?

NicoleLegault1
      Community Member

Hi Susan! Can you clarify what's not working? Maybe record a quick Peek of what you're doing and upload the Review link here so we can see what's happening. That could help us help you resolve this quickly :) 

JoanneCaron
    Community Member

This information is very interesting!

In my project I made a section with several lessons inside.

Location and lessons are different establishments that can be accessed by clicking a button

I would like to know if it is possible to go directly to the other party. Maybe keep the viewing restriction of the full course for the section but not be forced to see each particular lesson? hide a lessons...

thanks

CristinGrogan
    Community Member

Hi all - If I can add on to this with an additional question: Is there anyway to turn an already created 'Lesson' into a Subsection?  I have tried to a few ways to do this and it doesn't seem to be possible.  The only possible work around I can see is going into the lesson, creating Block Templates of all the content, creating the new subsections I want, and then copying all of the saved Block Templates into the new subsections and deleting the ones that are lessons (Confusing, I know...).

If there was a way to 'toggle' Lessons into subsections back and forth, that would be great - but it seems that that's not an available feature?  

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

-Cristin

KarlMuller
      Community Member

Hi Laurie,

What issue are you experiencing?

LaurieKinzie-c1
        Community Member

1. Please define lesson and section.

2. I think I created lessons. However, I want one of the "lessons" to be a section inside a lesson.

Am I thinking about this right? Also, how do I change it to a section? Sorry for my anger. The video didn't help. Working on a compliance module. Maybe that's it! LOL

Laurie Kinzie BS
        Instructional Designer
        Human Resources
        Carle Health
        3310 Fields South Drive, Champaign, IL 61822
        Office: 217-902-6671
        Fax: 217-902-7800
        Email: laurie.kinzie@carle.com