Forum Discussion

ScottLindstr125
Community Member
2 years ago

CornerStone OnDemand and Articulate Storyline 360 settings

Hi All,

We just moved over to CSOD and I just wanted to double-check the Storyline 360 settings with users of this LMS. We are currently using:

• SCORM 2004, 3rd Edition
  • Completed/Incomplete (Report status to LMS)

Is this what most developers are using? Anything else to be aware of, recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Scott Lindstrom
Hoag Hospital

• Those are the settings I've used for a client who has CSOD. 

The other thing I learned years ago was to ensure that the Identifier fields matched each other:

The Identifier doesn't have to match the official Title, but I've often used a short version of the title or just the title with underscores instead of spaces.

ST-S
    Community Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to understand the effect of each setting.

What are the Identifiers for? Why are there two of them? Why should they match if their default setting by Storyline is not?

Same for the title: why are there several Title fields?

Thanks for your answers!

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

I'm not an LMS expert, so I can only answer your questions with my best assumptions. 

Articulate 360's LMS publishing data is designed to meet SCORM standards. Thus, I have to assume that SCORM allows a course to have a title (which would be what the learner sees) as well as an identifier (which would be what the LMS uses). For example, the LMS folks might want the IDs to include an assigned number, but they might not want the learners to see that.

Note the headings above the Identifier fields. One is for "LMS Course Information" and the other is for "LMS Lesson SCORM Information." Some LMSs may allow using different titles or identifiers for those purposes. 

To be honest, I don't recall for certain who told me to ensure the Identifier fields matched, but it might have been an LMS admin for my client that used Cornerstone. 

I also assume that some LMSs could have restrictions on the Title used for Lesson SCORM Info. For example, it might have to be shorter than what's allowed as the course title, and/or it might not be allowed to use certain characters. 

For a definitive answer about the settings you need to use, I suggest you consult with your LMS team. 

ST-S
    Community Member

Thanks for your answer!

What you say makes me think about the difference between Course and Lesson. There is no such thing as Courses and Lessons in the LMS, but there areā€¦ in Rise 360, Lessons being chapters of a Course being a module (a learning object to use CSOD terminology). But I wonder what they do in Storyline, because they don't seem to be related to the different scenes of a Storyline course (otherwise, having several scenes would result in having several Lesson fields, which is not the case).

With all this, I understand that the Course fields refer to the metadata of the whole Course/Module/Learning Object. But I still don't understand what the Lesson is for?

My colleagues ask me what those settings do in CSOD: does it mean they do nothing?