Forum Discussion

StephenSmith-c8
Community Member
2 days ago

Decreasing points for answering questions

Hi everyone - first time writer, so please be gentle! I've looked through the existing threads and I can't see that this question has been asked before.

I'm using Storyline and I've got a static image with four hotspots (I managed to get that far). Clicking on the first hotspot brings up five multiple choice questions from a bank of ten. The player answers the questions and the quicker they answer the more points they get - say it starts at 1000 for answering instantly and then steadily decreases. 

When they’ve finished the questions, this unlocks the second hotspot; clicking on that brings up five multiple choice questions from a different bank of ten. They complete those which unlocks hotspot three and so on. Players can play the game as often as they like, in an attempt to get the highest score possible.

My problem is - I can't figure out how to set the questions up so that the the points for a correct answer decrease the longer it takes for the player to answer. Is it possible to do and, if so, does anyone know how?

Many thanks in advance

Steve

ID4WiscState
    Community Member

This is a touch complicated, because you have to build the timer. 

You need to-

1. Create a results slide to access the quiz.scorePoints variable
    2. Create a new number variable to count down from
    3. On your question slide, in the form view, set the correct answer point value to 1
    4. Create a layer (and on the base layer, trigger it to show as soon as the base timeline starts)
    5. Create a subtract-from-number-variable trigger when the timeline ends on that layer
    6. Loop that layer (jump to sec 0 when timeline ends)
    7. Return to the base layer, create a trigger that submits the answer when the user selects the hotspot
    8. "Before that" (above it in the trigger order) create a trigger that adds your new number variable to the quiz.scorePoints when the user submits their answer.

What happens is that as soon as the learner opens the question, the number variable starts to decrease. When the learner touches the hotspot, the number variable (say, 900) is added to the quiz.ScorePoints (1, equalling 901). 

I've mocked it up in the attachment. Have fun! Let us know how it goes.

StephenSmith-c8
      Community Member

That's very cool - thanks very much. I'll have a play with that.

Cheers

• Just a quick note that using a timer like that will unfairly disadvantage people who use assistive technology (screen readers, magnification, keyboard commands, etc.) or those who are neurodivergent. I'm not saying your approach is wrong, but you do need to understand your audience.