Forum Discussion

OlleSchlin
Community Member
14 days ago

Different draws from the same question bank or different question banks?

Hello fellow Storyline users.

I have a concern that I need to have a second option to.

I have created a training that contains 4 different scenes, where the user have to choose one scene at the first slide. The content of the different scenes are almost the same, where scene 2 have more content than scene 1, scene 3 have more content than scene 2 and so on.

In the end each scene shall have a quiz where each scene shall have 10 randomly picked questions and I have created one "base" question bank with "all" possible questions.  The issue is that scene 1 (for example) cannot have any questions from be base bank, since the answers to all those questions are not given i scene 1. (I hope you can follow me here.)

To my knowledge I have two options here:

1) Just use one question bank and in each draw, mark those questions that shouldn't be drawn as "Never"
2) Duplicate the base question bank into 4 different banks, one of each scene, where I completely remove those questions that shouldn't be drawn

There are pros and cons with both, as far as I can see. The first option is less work, but an increase risk that a question is not marked as "never" which means that a participant might get a question that he/she is not required to know the answer to.

The risk with the second option is that not all question banks are updated accordingly when a common question is updated or added.

What is the best option according to you?

Many thanks!

• Hello! I recently completed a very similar training course where there were 3 groups of individuals that would have to answer some similar questions but some questions would be different based on their job role. I completed this by following your option 1 and created one question bank to pull from which ended up saving me time in the end when the wording of the questions had to change. I also had to delete a question from all scenes which was easier to delete from the question bank instead of each scene separately.

A few tips that I found helped:
    1) If you have not already created all of the scenes, finish one and have it approved (if that is part of your process). Once approved, duplicate the scenes to save time. 
    2) I made a list (outside of Storyline) of which question numbers go to which scene. This helped prevent the risk you mentioned about not marking a question correctly to Always/Never. I found it easier to track outside of Storyline (Excel/Word, Google Docs, etc.) a simple list of each scene and which question numbers should be "Always" or "Randomly". 

I included an image of one of the Draw Questions from Bank window to show how I set my up. I hope this helps!

RachelGruett
    Community Member

Hello! I recently completed a very similar training course where there were 3 groups of individuals that would have to answer some similar questions but some questions would be different based on their job role. I completed this by following your option 1 and created one question bank to pull from which ended up saving me time in the end when the wording of the questions had to change. I also had to delete a question from all scenes which was easier to delete from the question bank instead of each scene separately.

A few tips that I found helped:
    1) If you have not already created all of the scenes, finish one and have it approved (if that is part of your process). Once approved, duplicate the scenes to save time. 
    2) I made a list (outside of Storyline) of which question numbers go to which scene. This helped prevent the risk you mentioned about not marking a question correctly to Always/Never. I found it easier to track outside of Storyline (Excel/Word, Google Docs, etc.) a simple list of each scene and which question numbers should be "Always" or "Randomly". 

I included an image of one of the Draw Questions from Bank window to show how I set my up. I hope this helps!

OlleSchlin
      Community Member

Many Thanks!

Regarding creating a list of the question outside Storyline, is it a way to export the questions bank in some way? For example to Excel

RachelGruett
        Community Member

I'm not familiar with a way to export questions into Storyline from Excel. I manually entered the questions into the bank. I duplicated question slides when I could to save on formatting and design time.