Forum Discussion

PaulaSchmidt-9f
Community Member
11 days ago

Does a Combined Results Slide report user's responses to each question to LMS

I believe a single results slide reports the user's individual responses to each graded question in a quiz to the LMS.

If I have three graded quizzes (five questions each) and want to report the results of all three quizzes to the LMS, using a Combined Results Slide, will the user's responses to each question (15 total) be reported to the LMS or just the combined score with no user responses?

Trying to minimize the total number of courses someone needs to take, but still need to record they passed the individual modules within the course.

I appreciate your help.

• Hi PaulaSchmidt-9f! Great question! Using the Combined Results Slide should send over the user responses to your LMS. If you don't see the responses, you might need to check with your LMS admin to configure a report that displays the responses. If you have any trouble, please let us know!

• The Combined Results Slide in an LMS (Learning Management System) context typically provides an aggregated score for multiple quizzes or assessments rather than reporting each individual response to each question.

Here's a breakdown of how it generally works:

Single Results Slide

• Reports Individual Responses: If you use a single results slide for each quiz, it will typically report the user's individual responses to each graded question in that quiz to the LMS. This allows you to see detailed performance on each question.

Combined Results Slide

• Reports Combined Score: The Combined Results Slide generally aggregates the results from multiple quizzes or assessments and reports a combined score or summary to the LMS. It focuses on the overall performance rather than individual responses.
    • Individual Responses Not Reported: Typically, individual responses to each question are not reported with a Combined Results Slide. It’s more about summarizing the performance across multiple quizzes.

Your Scenario

If you have three graded quizzes (each with five questions) and use a Combined Results Slide:

• Combined Score Reported: The LMS will usually receive a combined score representing the overall performance across the three quizzes.
    • Individual Responses Not Included: The detailed responses to each of the 15 questions from all three quizzes are not typically sent to the LMS through a Combined Results Slide. Instead, it provides a summarized score or outcome.

Alternative Approaches

To achieve detailed reporting while still minimizing the number of courses:

1. Separate Results Slides for Each Quiz: Use individual results slides for each quiz to report detailed responses and scores to the LMS.
    2. Detailed Reporting: If you need to ensure that detailed results are recorded for each module, consider breaking down the quizzes and using separate results slides for each.

Summary

In summary, the Combined Results Slide is designed to provide an overall score and summary of multiple quizzes, rather than detailed responses to each individual question. If you need to track responses to individual questions, you may need to use separate results slides for each quiz or module.

PaulaSchmidt-9f
      Community Member

Thank you for your thorough response, waqaskhan-8f5a3.  I appreciate your help.

Confirming, in the scenario, with three modules (scenes) in one SL course, each module having  their own quiz and results slide, each module would report scores and responses to the LMS. 

As a learner progresses from one module to the next, the quiz scores and responses would not overwrite the original quiz results in the LMS, as the learner takes subsequent quizzes, correct? 

I'm assuming I would need to name each quiz with the module name, for example, to be able to run reports in the LMS for each modules' quiz results.

JudyNollet
        Super Hero

Paula,

Here's the Articulate info about what quiz data is sent to the LMS: Quiz Data Sent To LMS

LaurenConnelly says a combined "Results of Results" slide would send the question and response info for each quiz. I've never tested that, so I can't definitively say it's true. But I'm inclined to accept her answer. 

The two "Alternative Approaches" in waqaskhan-8f5a3's reply are basically the same. They both say to use separate Results slides to get detailed reporting on each quiz. Unfortunately, that implies that Storyline would send the quiz data from three separate Results slides to the LMS. That's not how Storyline submits data to an LMS.

Storyline only submits the data for the "first selected option the learner completes." 

Thus, if you indicated three quiz Results slides for tracking, the course would be marked complete as soon as the learner passed one of the quizzes, and only the data for that quiz would be submitted

I suggest you do a quick test in your LMS to verify whether tracking via a "Results of Results" slide gets you the info you need. As Lauren said, "you might need to check with your LMS admin to configure a report that displays the responses."