Forum Discussion

RobbieChristian
Community Member
11 months ago

Elgato Integration

I'm trying to integrate an Elgato Stream Deck into my workflow. It has support for a number of different programs, but I don't see anyone using it for Storyline. I'm a beginner/novice in the world of the stream deck for now, but I'd love to know if anyone else has integrated it into their eLearning development workflow, and if so, how you were able to make it work. Thanks!

AndreaBorsoi-1d
      Community Member

Sounds great. Considering this too. Are you able to remap it quickly also for other SW (i.e. Adobe CC?) or is it difficult to do so?

Also, have you (or anyone) ever used video controllers such as TourBox or Contour Pro V2 with Storyline? (I know they work with Adobe but never quite understood if they can also control the timeline in Storyline360). 

Thanks

A

RobbieChristian
        Community Member

Hi Andrea, I'm all about the keyboard shortcuts, so I have a bunch memorized anyway. I was hoping to be able to do more with the timeline, moving, sizing, and aligning different elements on the slide, particularly with the dials. For what I want to do, there aren't really any keyboard shortcuts. At this point, if there aren't keyboard shortcuts for something, there's nothing else that a third-party product like Elgato can do, as far as I'm aware. At least without developing a plugin perhaps, but that would be way over my head.
        Since starting this thread, I've picked up a ZSA Voyager keyboard, and I'm considering building some intuitive layers that make more sense to me than the existing shortcuts. Until then, I'm making do with my regular workflow. After all, let's be real: the enhancements I'm looking for aren't revolutionizing the work and slashing weeks off development time; they're just trying to refine and enhance it, making it more enjoyable and easy, and shaving off possibly a few minutes here and there each day. As such, I haven't had the time or energy to dig much further into this yet. 🤷‍♂️

MikeLipson
    Community Member

I haven't set this up yet, but I plan to soon. I'm on a Mac, and I'm planning to use BetterTouchTool's Stream Deck integration to get it working. 

• Hi Robbie. I do not find it easy to use keyboards that are not traditional, so I was looking at Elgato StreamDeck. To be honest, I do so much Ctrl+C and Crtl+V that I expect my fingers to go wonky soon. Mostly copying and pasting from storyboards into storyline. In the end I went for a Loupedeck Live, cause it is adaptable to so many other applications, i.e. Adobe CC various ones. A trade-off between the cost of a simple programmable 9-keys'  keypad and something with also 6 rotary controls. One of which, I hope (still have to find a keystroke for that - if it exist) would be to move the timeline left/right (another would be changing the time zoom in the timeline). Though these key-strokes are not listed in Articulate list of shortcuts (DOES ANYONE KNOWS THE COMPLETE LIST and/or HAD ANY SUCCESS AT MAPPING THEM TO A ROTARY CONTROL OF SOME SORT?). It surely works well with Adobe PremierePro. So all in all, I went for the expensive option and that has so many buttons/layers that I will hardly ever run out. Let's see.  

RobbieChristian
      Community Member

If you're interested in a totally extravagant addition to your workstation, I have played with the Elgato foot pedal. It excels in recording videos (switching cameras/scenes, muting audio, etc.) where you don't want to keep touching a keyboard, but before upgrading my keyboard, I did enjoy having the left pedal set to copy, the center set to select all, and the right set to paste.
      I also am using a customizable trackball and briefly experimented with devoting a couple of its buttons to copy/paste, but the foot pedal is much better for it.
      I don't know of any keyboard shortcut document more complete than the one that Articulate already puts out. It's pretty comprehensive, but as you point out, it doesn't include shortcut keys for the timeline.