Forum Discussion

SherriWest-9a31
Community Member
3 months ago

How should I handle the audio for Accessibility courses?

I have a contact who is testing courses with screenreaders to help me make our courses more accessible. He states that when a slide with audio plays, both the audio for the slide plays, in addition to the audio of the screenreader. They are playing over each other.

I know that in Storyline, I could stop the audio from starting on each slide until a user clicks a custom 'Play' button; however, this seems clunky for a majority of users who will be taking the course that do not need the accessibility options. It would be awkward to force users to click Play every time they visit a screen in order to play Audio.

Also, many of my clients want audio to be in sync with slide animation. If audio is delayed until a custom 'Play' button is clicked, this will throw the animation synchronization off. 

Is there a better way to set up the audio for courses that will be used by both learners who do not need accessibility options and those that do need the options? Or should two separate courses be developed?

• Hi Sherri,

Thanks for reaching out!

The best way to make slide audio accessible to learners is to prevent it from automatically playing. Giving your learners the ability to control playback is important in terms of making the slide accessible to them - they'll be able to play the audio at their convenience. 

You can visit this article which contains helpful tips on designing accessible content in Storyline 360: 

I'll let other users chime in in case they have other recommendations to share with you!