Forum Discussion

PhoenixRainBird
Community Member
3 months ago

Inclusive language in guided tours and course navigation

I saw a course navigation slide recently that used a really nice, neutral approach to indicate how learners can navigate a course based on the equipment they use, without a feeling of hierarchy. I can't find it anymore but it was something like "If you're using a screen reader or keyboard, do this. If you're using a mouse, do that." 

So my question is, how are you handling accessibility/inclusivity focused guided tours and course navigation without it feeling like too much?

Ange
    Community Member

Hi Phoenix, 
    I approach it in the same way I approach navigation instructions for user device choice.
    "Choose how you would like to navigate this course",  I list all the options available, for example:  mouse, trackpad, screen reader, keyboard etc.  The user selects their choice and continues from there.  I always give the user the choice to return to the main menu of options, as well as the ability to explore each option, before continuing.

• Hi Ange,

Thanks, I hadn't even thought about separate instructions for trackpads or screen readers! How much detail do you give for each option? Do you point out everything on the player or just a few things? I'm not sure where to be descriptive and where to trust that my audience knows their chosen technology.   

Ange
      Community Member

Hi Phoenix,
      In general, I would say rule of thumb: if you do not know your audience, never assume.
      To satisfy client preferences for a comprehensive, catch-all overview, the way I set it up is: after choosing an option the user is taken to a slide that explains all the features of the player that are applicable to their choice: e.g. where it is; what it does; how to access/ interact with it... . This way knowing whether the user is familiar or not doesn't present a problem, and it's not an annoying frustration if they are familiar, they can easily skip it.  Note: I always make the seek bar accessible on this slide, and I always have the Continue button enabled so the user can skip the slide  and start the course if they realize they already have the know-how.