Forum Discussion

MikeMohr
Community Member
2 months ago

Looking for an assessment solution

Wondering if there is a different way to solve this. I have an course with 4 assessments (1, 2a, 2b, 3). The learner will take 2a or 2b depending on an earlier choice they make resulting in a total of 3 assessment. My results slide looks to see if their score is 80% or better on the questions they took. Right now I have the navigation restricted. This ensures they take all the assessments they need to take. If I have navigation open, assessments can be skipped and they will pass as long as they scored 80% or better on the questions they took. If I set the results slide to pass all assessments, they will always fail because of the 2a 2b split. I don't mind keeping the navigation restricted, but I was wondering if there would be a way to do this with the navigation open and not an excessive amount of triggers.

• Hi Mike,

If I understand correctly, the problem is the user failing because of the 2a/2b split. If it would not mess up your assessment design, could you split the points value of the 2a and 2b questions? If you have 3 total questions, each question answered would be worth 33.33%. Can you make question 2a worth 16 points and question 2b worth 16 points? That way, if someone answers all 3 questions, the result will total 82% and thus give them a passing score.

If I have misunderstood what you want, perhaps you can clarify a bit more, please.

MikeMohr
    Community Member

Hi Kendal, thanks for the response. Lets see if I can explain better.  Lets say each assessment is 5 questions. Depending on the path they would take either 1, 2a, 3 (15 total questions), or 1, 2b, 3 (15 total questions).  The final results slide looks to see if they passed the course. I can set that up as passed each assessment, (in which case they will always fail because of the path variation) or passed based on the achieving a passing score on the questions that they took (which will allow them to skip assessments or questions and still pass because of the based on questions setting of the results slide). The person would only need to achieve the set percentage on answering just 1 question correctly and skipping the rest.

KendalRasnake-1
      Community Member

Hi Mike,

I may have something that is along the lines of what you are looking for. You can see the attached file for more.

I created 3 quizzes. Quizzes 1 and 3 have 1 question. Quiz 2 has 2 questions. The user will only answer one of the questions for Quiz 2 based on the choice they make. There are simply two buttons, one directing them to question 2a and another button directing the user to question 2b. (Obviously, more questions could be added to each branching scenario.)

At the end of each quiz is a results slide. For quizzes 1 and 3, the passing rate is set to 80% and each question is selected. For Quiz 2, the passing rate is set to 50%, each question is selected, and the checkbox is selected next to “Only score viewed questions.”

Finally, there is a results slide at the end of the module. The results slide is set to calculate results for Results Slides. The Scoring setting is set to Combine points from each quiz. Each of the 3 results slides are selected. The passing rate is set to 74%.

By setting the project up this way, you can have your learner go through Quizzes 1 and 3 normally, but have Quiz 2 set up as a branching scenario. At the end, the learner is still able to pass if they answered the questions they did see correctly. I believe this would also allow you to keep the navigation restricted.

If I understand your dilemma, it is making the final quiz results come in correctly, even if users did not answer all the questions. I think what I have set up might do that, although you may need to adjust your scoring percentages to make the math work out. As I mentioned previously, if it will not mess up your assessment to fiddle with the weighting of the questions. You can have students take different sets of questions that exclude some, and yet still have the math work out to be passing, depending on the weighting of the question points. In the module I made, I set Quizzes 1 and 3 to equal 33 points each, and each question in Quiz 2 to equal 34 points. While the final Quiz points equal 100 points, the passing percentage has to be lowered to 74% to account for the missing question. If I answer all questions that I see correctly, Storyline will show me passing, but with only a 74% score. Therefore, I would just delete the 74% from the final results slide so as not to confuse the learner and just let them see their final points total. Perhaps you can monkey around with question points and passing percentage to get Storyline to give a passing result for your user as long as the user has done what is satisfactory for you.