Forum Discussion

ChrisCole
Community Member
2 months ago

shrunken content area

We have designed and built our Storyline files with the same specs for years. While reviewing a new project we built, the client has said that everything is too small, especially the text size. We looked at what she sees on her monitor (via webex) and indeed the content area is greatly reduced, making everything (including the text) very small.

But the Player is the same size - it's just the content area that is reduced - leaving a lot of white space (or in this case, blue space) surrounding the content area.

In our trouble shooting process, we have compared browser zoom settings, display resolution settings, Modern PLayer vs Classic Player, Lock Browser vs Resize (in Storyline settings), and so on, - even did a few slides at different Storyline slide sizes. But nothing seems to make a difference.  She sees shrunk content while we see normal content.

See attached images.

Thoughts anyone?

ChrisCole
    Community Member

After more investigation I think we found the issue...

First I was thinking (like Elizabeth and Phil) that it must be an aspect ratio thing. But we checked and, although my resolution is higher than the client's, our aspect ratio was the same (16:9, or "widescreen"). We both have the same aspect ratio and yet we're seeing different size content.

But as we were discussing, she mentioned her eyesight, and I asked if she had her display scale / zoom setting bumped up. She said yes, she always has the zoom increased on her display to make things larger and easier to read.

I increased the zoom on my display to 150% and, sure enough, the Storyline content shrunk. Whether by design or by accident, Storyline shrinks the content area when Display zoom is increased. The Player gets bigger, but the content area gets smaller.

Going forward, given the prevalence of high-def displays today, we will factor this phenomenon into our design decisions.

• Hi-res monitors leads to smaller onscreen text
    • which leads to some users increasing their display scale
    • which leads to Storyline content area shrinking

Hope this is helpful (and not just being Master of the Obvious :) )

• Does your client just have an extra large monitor?

For example, I have two screens: a regular laptop monitor and an ultrawide 4K monitor. Here's how the same content looks on both screens when they are full screen. The Storyline player scales up to respond to screen size, and that leaves extra white (or in this case, blue) space on either side of the slide content.

Here's the laptop:

And here is my 4k ultrawide monitor:

ChrisCole
    Community Member

Ahhh. I bet it's the ultra-wide. Your laptop view looks like our HD desktop view; your ultrawide view looks like her view. I'll check and report back.  Thanks Elizabeth!

• Looks like an ultra wide monitor unfortunately a lot of these the height is half of a normal resolution and cause issues like this. 

ChrisCole
    Community Member

Thanks Phil. I'm checking to get more info on her monitor (actually dual monitor).