Forum Discussion

HeatherSulli423
Community Member
4 months ago

Student not able to log back in where they left off in the course.

I'm stuck and could really use some help. I've developed a course in Articulate and published it in Docebo. For some reason, the student's progress is not being tracked correctly, and when a student logs off and back in, it keeps dropping them back to an earlier place in the content, sometimes several modules/quizzes back.  The same thing is happening to all the students, and it's set up to be a linear course, where the next button illuminates once the audio completes. The final exam is the only one tracked; passing it defines completion.  What steps can I take to troubleshoot the saving progress issue? 

• I'm publishing to SCORM1.2, I'm having the same issue in the SCORM Cloud. My LMS only accepts SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004 version 3 and when I try uploading with SCORM 2004v3, I get the following error message:  This is a SCORM 2004 Package that includes non-linear sequencing not supported by the LMS. This package can be imported anyway, but its sequencing won't be managed by the LMS.

How can I either reduce the amount of data needing to be stored or change my sequencing to be linear? 

Thank you for responding; by the way, you're a great resource!

JudyNollet
      Super Hero

I'm not an LMS expert, and I don't know the implications of the warning "its sequencing won't be managed by the LMS." As far as I know, Storyline handles the sequencing...

• I think it's worth the effort to test a SCORM 2004-v3 package in your LMS. You said your course was linear, so it might work despite the warning. That would probably solve the data-limit issue. 

If the SCORM 2004-v3 doesn't work in your LMS, you'll have to work within the data limits of SCORM 1.2. In essence, that means giving it fewer things to remember.

• As I understand it, one way to reduce the suspend/resume data is to set slides to "Reset to initial state" when revisiting. Of course, that might not work well for some interactive slides. 
      • You mentioned it was currently resuming "several modules/quizzes back." That sounds like a long course. Consider breaking it up into smaller courses. Check with your LMS folks to see if they can combine multiple courses into a "curriculum," i.e., a set of courses that requires the user to complete them in a given order. 
    JHauglie
    Community Member

We had a similar issue with a course that was previously working fine for an older LMS; when we migrated to SuccessFactors, this course was one of a handful (out of hundreds) that simply would not function properly when the user tried to leave and return.

We did uncover a couple of things that may help. First, the course filename may have a special character that could trip the LMS. And the course filename may have more characters than some buffer field in SCORM can hold. So use a very short filename (like < 20 characters) and ensure that there are no special characters in it.

A second thing we noted that helped us partly resolve this was to do the "reset to initial state" condition that Judy describes. 

I say "partly resolve" the problem because these fixes worked on all the troublesome courses except one. (Go figure!) And for that one, we tried for weeks to troubleshoot it (the original developer had left and there was no bandwidth to rebuild the course). We ended up putting a notice before the first slide advising users that they should complete the course in a single setting to avoid any type of problems. So far, I haven't heard of anyone complaining about that.

PoppyHenderson
      Community Member
      Joe Hauglie

We had a similar issue with a course that was previously working fine for an older LMS; when we migrated to SuccessFactors, this course was one of a handful (out of hundreds) that simply would not function properly when the user tried to leave and return.

We did uncover a couple of things that may help. First, the course filename may have a special character that could trip the LMS. And the course filename may have more characters than some buffer field in SCORM can hold. So use a very short filename (like < 20 characters) and ensure that there are no special characters in it.

A second thing we noted that helped us partly resolve this was to do the "reset to initial state" condition that Judy describes. 

I say "partly resolve" the problem because these fixes worked on all the troublesome courses except one. (Go figure!) We tried to solve this problem on our own for a long time, but it was difficult. Not all worked. Some of our students used https://essays.edubirdie.com/assignment-writing-service to meet the deadline with their work. Well, I was not very happy with this, but I can understand them. And for that one, we tried for weeks to troubleshoot it (the original developer had left and there was no bandwidth to rebuild the course). We ended up putting a notice before the first slide advising users that they should complete the course in a single setting to avoid any type of problems. So far, I haven't heard of anyone complaining about that.

Thanks, Joe! I'll give it a shot!