Forum Discussion

LaurenBrande307
Community Member
4 months ago

Table with row headings

I need to be able to create a table in either Storyline or Rise that has both column headings AND row headings, and I need it to be 508 accessible and properly read out both headings along with cell contents. As best I can tell, both products only support column headings. The recommendation is to use an image of a table and then describe it in alt text, which I know my 508 auditor will not accept. Has anyone found a solution to this?

RachelMcLone
    Community Member

Why doesn't Articulate Rise natively support tables that require column headings as well as row headings? The workaround solution suggested is far from optimal - using alt text to describe a table is really inelegant. Have both row and and column headings seems like a pretty basic table requirement, for all types of learners, but especially for accessibility requirements. Are there any plans to improve tables in Rise to include column headings as well as row headings?

DennisLeon
    Community Member
    Lauren BrandeberryHealthCareGov

I need to be able to create a table in either Storyline or Rise that has both column headings AND row headings, and I need it to be 508 accessible and properly read out both headings along with cell contents. As best I can tell, both products only support column headings. The recommendation is to use an image of a table and then describe it in alt text, which I know my 508 auditor will not accept. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Hello,

Creating accessible tables with both column and row headings is essential for ensuring 508 compliance. Let’s explore how you can achieve this in both Storyline 360 and Rise 360:

Storyline 360:
    In Storyline 360, you can create tables and designate the top row as a header row. Here’s how:
    Select the table you’ve inserted into your slide.
    Go to the Table Tools—Design tab on the ribbon.
    Check the Header Row box to identify the top row as the header row. This will make it stand out and be recognized as the column headings.
    You can also turn off the header row by unchecking the same box if needed.
    While Storyline focuses on column headings, you can still provide context for row headings within the cell content. For example, include the row heading information in the first cell of each row.
    Rise 360:
    Rise 360 supports Revised Section 508 accessibility standards, including screen readers, keyboard navigation, and visible focus indicators.
    Unfortunately, Rise 360 doesn’t natively support row headings in tables. However, you can work around this limitation:
    Use a labeled graphic block: Labeled graphic blocks allow you to add visual flair to your courses while letting learners explore at their own pace. You can create a labeled graphic that visually represents your table and provides the necessary context for both column and row headings. Then, use alt text to describe the table in detail.
    In the labeled graphic, include the column headings and row headings as labels. Describe the relationship between them in the alt text.
    While this approach involves using an image, the alt text will provide the necessary information for screen readers and ensure 508 compliance.