Forum Discussion

ElizabethWei-b2
Community Member
6 hours ago

Track Development Time in Storyline

Is there a way to track how long a developer spends developing a course in Storyline? Is there a log of hours somewhere? We can track how long a learner spends in a course, but I want to track how long I spend developing a course.

• Thank you all for your replies. Thankfully, I do not need to regularly track my time at the asset level. I was mainly curious if I could pull it up in the settings somewhere, like if there was a runtime log. This is more for curiosity or the occasional question I get when a stakeholder asks me how long x-asset took to develop once it left the SME. Again, not a part of my daily routine. Just would be a nice to have.

• As Eric pointed out, there's nothing built in to track development time. 

You said you want to track how long you spend developing a course. To do that, you'll have to take the time to record your start and stop times. You can be as precise as you want. I usually just track in 15-minute increments. 

You could create a spreadsheet for entering your hours, and let that do the math. As desired, you could also add notes about exactly what you were doing (e.g., in a meeting with a SME vs. collecting assets vs. actual development). 

• I have never seen anyway to track development time. This will depend on the developer and the subject. I guess you are trying to justify time and payment for an outside contractor. If this is true it would first get a quote on time and cost. Then make sure you trust the contractor. Have a very detailed plan on what you want and how you want it. Working with contractors can be difficult, there must be a very detailed description of what you are looking for and a review process. 

If this helps, great. If I'm not at all answering your question, sorry I read more into this.