Embedded web object don't work in review

Jul 16, 2019

Hi

We are using web objects in our storyline courses and use them embedded (loading a local folder, not refering to an existing external page). This works when published normally to a website and to scorm, but does not work well in review.

When examining this I note that there are two separate server names involved, this creates cross domain issues. The main site is loaded from https://360.articulate.com and the web object from https://articulateusercontent.com. This totally prevents the web object from interacting with storyline using javascript. I also get a 403 - access denied error when loading files from javascript, those may also be caused by the cross domain call, they may be from other causes as well but it is not easily examined before the cross domain issue is solved.

I can send more detailed information to a service technican at articulate but don't want to publish it here.

10 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Kay,

I was able to take a look at the case Johan worked on with our team and the issue was specific to the file name and servers in their particular environment.

That being said, it's not a common issue that we are seeing with users. We'd be happy to take a look at what you're running into as well.

With your permission, I'd like you to share your project file and review link with our support engineers to investigate what's happening. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Math Notermans

In fact i encounter this now too. As i want to create Storyline files ( with Javascript and webObjects in it ) for lesser advanced users to reuse as a Storyline block in Rise...i do think this issue is annoying. Because that would mean you cannot create Storylineblocks with webObjects because they run into crossdomain issues when adding in Rise.

Math Notermans

So allthough i dont have my Storyline working completely as needed on Review, with the use of the workaround for background audio mentioned on the forum ( https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/background-music-demo ) i got a setup now that works on Review and thus should work in Rise too...

Im gonna finetune it the next days and if it works as intended will share it with the community...

Edit: Webobjects in a separate folder as shown in the link above work fine in Storyline360 and Review. Also used it as a block in Rise and that works too.

Jean-Guy  Boulay

Still an issue, I have to publish a web version on another server so that Clients can see the interaction, They prefer to use Articulate review though and find it annoying having to swap between two running courses. This should be looked at. Has anyone reported at all in the year that this has been posted? 

Kevin Nolty

I too had an issue with my embedded PDF showing up as a Web Object while in Review 360. However it did work when I published to the LMS. The folder I used to house my PDF and indext.html (for the web object) was on my local network drive and not my C:drive (local hard drive). I moved the folder to my local hard drive (C: drive) and republished to Review 360.