Adding "Continue" button to Rise Quiz

Oct 24, 2018

Hello.

I have a lesson that comes after a Quiz to wrap up the module and thank the student for participating.  However, there is no way to add a "Continue" button in a block for a quiz.

I do not want my students to be able to navigate freely using the sidebar, so I have that options set to "Closed."

Quizzes are considered "lessons" so why is there no option to add Block functionality?   This feature was just rolled out for all other lesson types just last week, so how did Quizzes miss the cut?

What are my options here?  I do see that others have asked the same question in the forums but I am on a tight delivery schedule and need to have this addressed ASAP.  I also see a workaround that someone offered using Storyline, but I do not want to go through that unless it is absolutely necessary.  

This feature should be in Rise.

Thank you.

Dave

181 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hey there, David.  You're right - we've had a lot of folks who would love to see additional navigation options added to the quiz results screen.  We are currently evaluating this request, so I can let you know here if we make any changes!

I know you're eager to have a solution.  In the meantime, you'll want to consider adding the previous/next navigation options to your lessons to allow learners to progress past the quiz.  Go to Settings, click Navigation, and toggle the Previous & Next Buttons option to On

David Wolfe

Hi Crystal,

Yes, I do have the previous/next feature turned on.  I have disabled the sidebar because I do not want students being able to navigate freely on their own. I want them to move in a linear fashion from top to bottom.  

If I set the navigation to "restricted" but turn the sidebar on, will they be prevented from taking the lessons out of order?

As for the previous/next feature, I got feedback from multiple testers that there is some intuition lacking to use it.  Often, students must do additional scrolling beyond the screen content to "activate" the previous/next button. 

Most of my lessons are built in blocks and use a "Continue" button, so students get used to that process.  To have the "Continue" button suddenly not be available at the Quiz could be very confusing and lead the student to think that something is wrong.

Thanks for your help and I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi David!

Yes, you are correct! If you set the navigation to "restricted" but turn the sidebar on, learners will be prevented from taking the lessons out of order.

And I completely get what you're saying about the continuity of the "Continue" button. It makes sense that you'd want to have the same button after the quiz that you have after all of the lessons. I'll let you know if we add this new feature to Rise quizzes in the future!

David Wolfe

Thanks Alyssa.  I think I'm going to keep the sidebar off, because some of my testers reported that they found it intrusive and reduced screen size, especially on tablets and phones.  

Thanks also for considering adding some block functions for quizzes.  The Previous/Next feature SHOULD be enough, but some folks just require that extra level of guidance that a clearly marked button like "Continue" provides.

If a "Continue" button is not deemed feasible, would there by any consideration given to making the "Previous/Next" bars more visibility. (e.g. different color, larger text).  They're pretty benign looking right now with the light gray bar and small dark gray text.

Thanks again.

Dave

Allison LaMotte

Hi Marina,

You won’t need to insert a button - sorry if that was confusing!

There are two conditions that must be met for the Continue “button” to pop up: The Prev/Next Buttons should be turned off, and the Sidebar should be set to No Sidebar.

To turn off Prev/Next Buttons go to Settings, click Navigation, and toggle the Previous & Next Buttons option to Off.

Learn how to turn off the Sidebar right here.

Jason Adcox

I have several branching modules that allows the learner to select between English and Spanish at beginning of the course. For this reason we have turned off Prev/Next buttons (don't want folks advancing into the wrong language). We have added continue buttons at the bottom of each lesson so the learner can advance.

Here's the problem...We have the sidebar set to Closed (not No Sidebar), which enables the learner the opportunity to open the sidebar and go backward if needed. But now, because the sidebar is set to Closed (not set to No Sidebar), they have no means to advance beyond each quiz.

Is there anyway you can allow us (developers) the ability to add a continue button at the bottom of the quiz when needed? I don't understand why the two conditions (above post) are needed for the continue button to appear at the bottom of the quiz. Let me know. Thanks!

Jason

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Nancy!

We haven't added a Continue button option to the post-quiz page yet, but thanks for letting us know you need this feature!

For now, you'll want to consider adding the previous/next navigation options to your lessons to allow learners to progress past the quiz.  Go to Settings, click Navigation, and toggle the Previous & Next Buttons option to On

Alyssa Gomez

Hi folks!

I apologize, that was my misunderstanding. I was thinking you were referring to adding a Continue button block, similar to the button you can find in Blocks lessons.

If you have the sidebar set to No Sidebar and the previous/next buttons turned off, you'll get a button to continue after the quiz if there is more content.

So you're right, David! We added the feature you requested 8 months ago. Let me know if that's what you had in mind!

Robyn Moormeister

I'm very excited you added the continue button the issue is that is very hard to see and users are having issues seeing this kind of buttons and I'm getting lots of complains that they can not move forward. Is there a way we can manipulate this button by adding color, renaming it and making the font bigger so is more obvious to the user that they have to click there in order to continue.

John Lichtenhan
Alyssa Gomez

Great question, Daniela. Right now there's not a way to customize the Continue button that appears on the quiz results screen. I'll let our team know you have a need for this feature!

This would be quite useful as well and seems like a major afterthought and the little grey continue bar seems like a band-aid fix at best since it can *only* be used if you turn the sidebar off.

The baked in navigation buttons are terrible as far as UX goes, so navigation buttons are always disabled for our courses and we use the big colored Continue buttons to advance to the next lesson. 

It doesn't make sense to have these big continue buttons everywhere else to advance to the next lesson and then all of a sudden have to go to the sidebar to get past the assessment or completely turn the sidebar off and end up with a huge blank wasted space where the sidebar would have been and end up with an ugly navigation bar that is hard to see and doesn't match anything else in the course. 

VS.

Lance Crowe

"Good new Mr. Jones, we have solved your BMW challenge.  Turns out you need an engine and incredibly we got one for you.  Well, it's for a Yugo, but technically it's a car engine.  You will eventually get used to it.  Exciting, huh?  What, this proven BMW engine right over here?  Well, we can try that after we have exhausted all other options.  And by the way, before you drive, you must turn off your radio and not use the A/C.  It's just the steps for using a Yugo engine.  No, no, you're welcome."

Come on ... Rise up and find a way to do better with this.

Becca Sharon

I am also running into this issue. I see this thread has been going for a while and thought I'd also add on to the request. 

I would like a continue BLOCK that looks like all the other continue blocks in the course and is colored so it is easily seen. I'm getting feedback on my course that the user cannot continue after the quiz. Of course they can, I'm just asking them to look for and recognize a different navigation then anywhere else in the course. 

I don't want to turn off features (menu, other course navigation) just to get a continue button to pop up in one small section. I love RISE but this is a really annoying issue that seems to have a lot of traffic around it. Can we please get an update that allows for a continue block (same look as everywhere else in the course) that lets the user know they can continue after taking my quiz? 

My only other option is to build the quiz in Storyline then import the section into the rise course so the user can continue. That's a lot of extra work everytime I need to create a quiz!!! HELP!!

Brad Aleman

Thanks for looking into this issue. I'd like to add my voice in as well. The way to continue after completing a quiz is very much not intuitive. Every person we've user tested a course on, including some very tech savvy people, had to pause, if not outright look around, for what to do after completing a quiz. We use the big colored Continue button at the end of every lesson, so this sudden change is jarring and confusing.

To make it worse, see the screenshot below. I've cropped out the top and side of my screen, but that bottom cutoff is exactly how it appears for me. The Take Again button (red arrow) is the only immediate, obvious thing to click. The "Lesson 8" button (green arrow) is almost completely cut off, so I wouldn't even know it was there if I didn't try scrolling.

This is a huge user experience issue that is making it difficult to fully embrace using Rise, as we put quizzes in nearly all of our courses.

David Wolfe

More shiny happy lip service from the staff at Articulate.  Another request, completely logical and simple in nature, that is dragging on for a year or more.  I'm seriously beginning to lose confidence in this company and will soon start looking at other solutions for E-Learning development.