Blur photo with sensitive content, unless learner clicks to see original image with full detail

Sep 07, 2022

We're creating a first aid course and some learners have found certain images disturbing, e.g. of frostbite or other hard-to-look at content. Yet other learners value seeing the details to help them identify conditions.

In Rise, for a given photo on a page, is it possible to upload both a blurred edition of a sensitive content photo AND the original photo, such that if the learner wants to see the image, they can choose to select it and see the original as the zoomed-in/enlarged scale image?

7 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Tamara,

You could use a regular image block for the blurred version of the image, and then use an Accordion block just below it to house the original version. 

You could change the Accordion title to Warning - sensitive content.

The student would not see the sensitive photo unless they opened the Accordion.

Tamara Wee

Hi, Karl, your solution worked nicely as an option entirely handled within Rise.

In the end, the team preferred a Storyline file imported into our Rise course. I created a Storyline slide that toggles between a blurred photo and the unblurred original photo when the photo is selected. We'll introduce this with Warning text and simple directions. 

Thank you again for your helpful suggestion.

Sam Williamson

An alternative solution, if you wanted to keep things within Rise, would be to use the flashcard grid. (You might think the flashcard stack would be better, but it ultimately looks clunkier.)

All you need to do is add the flashcard block, delete two of the cards so only one larger one is displayed, then make use of the 'Full Card Image' options to display a blurred image on the front and the unblurred version on the back. When a learner clicks on the image it flips, which is essentially the interaction you were after.

Sam Williamson

I didn't say it was ideal, but if you only display a single flashcard I'd say it's a useable size depending on what you're looking to show.

Another alternative would be to use a carousel gallery. The learner would have to swipe between the two images – or use the navigation arrows – but it would be a lot better in terms of image clarity. You'd also retain the click-to-zoom and caption functions.

Ultimately both of these approaches are a compromise. Pretty much Rise's epitaph.