Changing text color on system buttons

Nov 26, 2020

Hi,

Is there a way to change the font color of system buttons (aka the Divider Continue button)?  Seems to me like it would be an easy fix by just adding that to the block's setting.

I'm currently building courses and our Brand color is light green. But for an unknown reason, the system uses white font on my Continue buttons that uses the Brand color. So, we can barely see the text on those buttons and it doesn't pass the WCAG 2.1 contrast requirements.

I can't change the shade of the green color since it's our brand color. What can I do? Why the option to change the text on those system buttons (or even changing the colors of those buttons) is not available?

Thanks 

19 Replies
Julie Stoltz

I discovered by accident while trying to change the color of the Continue button that you can change the Continue font color by doing the steps below to your exported Rise course. I would imagine the other system buttons can be changed in a similar fashion if you can figure out the name for them in the CSS file.

1. Extract your files from the zipped exported package.

2. Open the main.bundle.css file in a text editor such as Notepad. (In a Scorm package, this is located in the scormcontent/lib folder.)

3. Use CTRL + F to open Find and search for 'continue' (see continue.png attached image below).

4. Inside the curly brackets immediately following .continue-btn, you will find a color attribute followed by a hex value (circled in blue in the continue.png attached image). Change the hex value to the color you desire. 

NOTE: Be very careful to only change the hex value (shown in the image as #fff). Don't add or delete any other characters. Also make sure your hex value begins with the hash (or pound) symbol as shown. Your hex value will likely be 6 characters long, such as #123456.

5. Save the file. Rezip your package and publish.

I hope this helps!

LMS Epilepsy
Julie Stoltz

I discovered by accident while trying to change the color of the Continue button that you can change the Continue font color by doing the steps below to your exported Rise course. I would imagine the other system buttons can be changed in a similar fashion if you can figure out the name for them in the CSS file.

1. Extract your files from the zipped exported package.

2. Open the main.bundle.css file in a text editor such as Notepad. (In a Scorm package, this is located in the scormcontent/lib folder.)

3. Use CTRL + F to open Find and search for 'continue' (see continue.png attached image below).

4. Inside the curly brackets immediately following .continue-btn, you will find a color attribute followed by a hex value (circled in blue in the continue.png attached image). Change the hex value to the color you desire. 

NOTE: Be very careful to only change the hex value (shown in the image as #fff). Don't add or delete any other characters. Also make sure your hex value begins with the hash (or pound) symbol as shown. Your hex value will likely be 6 characters long, such as #123456.

5. Save the file. Rezip your package and publish.

I hope this helps!

This is great to know, thanks so much!

Do you know if there is a way to change the colour of the numbers in a list as well?

Cheers!

Karl Muller

Text Contrast Controls

Instantly ensure training content meets accessible color handling requirements for learners with low vision. Enhance course navigation buttons, cover pages, and headers so that light text automatically appears on dark colors and vice versa.

In development

See https://articulate.com/support/article/Articulate-360-Feature-Roadmap#rise-360 

Heather  Sternitzky

Adding my upvote for this too.

This NEEDS to be a fix that comes out ASAP. I love how easy Rise is to use, but the lack of customization options is disappointing, which often leads me back to Storyline. This is especially a problem when you have company colors to work with that are light and don't allow for a light text color. 

Crystal Horn

Hi folks! Quick update here about buttons and other block elements that use the course's theme accent color. 

We released an enhancement where blocks like the continue button and numbered lists will use white or black text depending on whether your theme color is light or dark:

animation of text changing from light to dark

We're continuing to work on making this text auto-contrast feature fully accessible, and we'll have more to share in the future.

We're also aware that you need more flexibility to choose the color of those elements within a block, and that you'd like to have the ability to change the color of bullets in text blocks. We'll keep you posted on developments in those areas, too!

Gren Foronda
Hi there!

Good news! You can now use theme color contrast to make sure that text or icons that appear on top of a theme color meet contrast guidelines automatically.

To use this new feature, simply go to the Theme tab, select Colors and choose one of the following options:
  • Auto: Turns text and meaningful graphics to black or white automatically depending on your accent color to meet the minimum accessibility contrast requirements.
  • Dark: Turns text and meaningful graphics to black.
  • Light: Turns text and meaningful graphics to white.

Contrast

Once you’ve given it a try, we’d love to hear what you think!