closed captions not working after exporting as web type

Jul 13, 2020

Hello. I have created a course containing several videos with subtitles (vtt files). Everything works fine while I watch videos online within rise in preview or edit mode. Anyway, when I export my Rise course using the Web export type, the captions are not working anymore. Any clue about how to fix this? 

9 Replies
Graeme Foulds

Hi.
I'm having a similar issue.  I have a Rise 360 course that consists mainly of video blocks, and as a test uploaded a VTT subtitle track to one of the videos.  When previewing the block afterwards (in Rise, thus hosted on Articulate's server), the option to choose the caption is now there along the bottom of the video, but selecting it doesn't display anything.  I have attached the VTT file.

Any ideas?

Lea Agato

Hi Graeme! I checked the VTT file you shared, and it looks like the captions start 15 minutes into the video.  Is this time consistent with the length of the video you are using?  You'll also want to make sure that you are using a supported browser for Rise.  If you're still having trouble with your closed captions, please upload your video using this link, and we'd be happy to take a closer look to see why closed captions isn't working.  

Graeme Foulds

Hi Lea.

Thanks for the reply. I have submitted the support case by uploading the video (case number 02626548).

My video (on the timeline) is about 15 mins long in totality, but I've chopped it up into shorter segments and generated each segment as a separate video - with the idea being that each segment would have its own captions.  The clip that I uploaded is therefore just the last few seconds of those 15 mins.

I am using Chrome version 87.0.4280.141 as my browser (my organisation manages the versions).

Not critical though - in the interim I've burnt my subtitle text directly into the videos.

Graeme Foulds

Hi.

Just an update here.  Articulate Support has resolved the issue for me.

What I didn't realise, is that the VTT file is generated for the entire original video length, even though I only rendered a short portion of it (right at the end) for insertion into the Rise video block.  As a result, the timestamp that is built into the VTT file didn't match the actual video length in the Rise video block, and thus didn't display.  It's a simple matter to alter the timestamp though, by editing the VTT file in Notepad or a similar application.

Hope that helps somebody!

Graeme Foulds

Hi.

Wow, it's been a while since I last even thought about this!  To be honest, since then I haven't regarded the VTT route as being fully worth the effort - I just burn my subtitles directly into my videos nowadays, so that they're always there and visible.

To answer your question though, if memory serves me correctly I matched the time code that is indicated above every section of the VTT file (see the attachment in my initial post above), with the timecode in my video editing software for the spot in the video at which point I want the subtitle wording to appear.

That's only if you have one video clip and one VTT file though, starting at the same time code so that they match all the way through.  I eventually ended up chopping up my overall video into smaller independent pieces, such that each would need its own VTT file.  As I said, I ultimately didn't go through with the subtitles exercise, but I would imagine that it would be necessary to chop the VTT file up into several files as well (one for each video segment, each containing just that segment's wording), and then editing the timestamp in each of those VTT files to begin at 00:00:00:00 or similar.