Continue to next topic after passing quiz

Jun 29, 2018

I have a Rise course that includes several sections using blocks. I'm using button sets to create branching so I have turned off the previous/next buttons. I have a quiz block at the end of the course and want to have a slide after passing the quiz to wrap up the course and thank the participant. The only option I get, whether passing or not, is retake the quiz. Anyone have a workaround?

106 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Rodger,

To clarify, you have two options here:

• leave the sidebar and prev/next buttons on, in which case you'll have a "next lesson" button (provided there's a lesson afterward)
  • turn off the sidebar and the prev/next buttons, in which case you'll have a continue button (provided there's a lesson afterward)

I hope that makes sense and that one of these options works for you!

Rodger Ling

The problem is that there is no next lesson. We use the quiz at the end of each of our modules to pass a score to the LMS. I don’t understand why we should have to disable the side nav just to have a button that would provide a way to provide a consistent way to continue.

The Articulate content always opens in its own window in our LMS, so the side navigation provides the only visual confirmation of progress through our modules.

Sent from my iPhone

Allison LaMotte

Hi Rodger,

If there's no lesson after your quiz, then the continue button/next lesson wouldn't appear either way. As explained above, you don't have to disable the prev/next buttons to be able to continue. You have two options:

• leave the sidebar and prev/next buttons on, in which case you'll have a "next lesson" button 
  • turn off the sidebar and the prev/next buttons, in which case you'll have a continue button 

However, these options only work if there's a lesson following the quiz because otherwise there's nothing to "continue" to. 

Are you wanting the continue button to automatically close the course? I'm not sure I'm understanding what you want it to do if there's nothing after your quiz. Let me know and we'll go from there. :)

Allison LaMotte

Hi Wen,

If you turn off the sidebar and the prev/next buttons a continue button will be added automatically. You don't need to do anything else.

If you're not seeing it, make sure you're previewing the entire course and not just the quiz. If you're still not seeing it, the quickest way to resolve this issue is to have our Support Team take a look. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Allison LaMotte

Hi Erin,

Did you also turn off the sidebar? If not, that's why you're not seeing the Continue button. In order to see it, you need to turn off both the sidebar and the prev/next buttons. Once you do that, a continue button will be added automatically. You don't need to do anything else.

If you're not seeing it after that, make sure you're previewing the entire course and not just the quiz. If you're still not seeing it, the quickest way to resolve this issue is to have our Support Team take a look. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Désirée  Jochem

Hi,

just adding my perspective here: 
I really can't do much with the Rise quiz as it is right now - which is a shame, since it's necessary to send the results to the LMS.

My course was supposed to have an open sidebar without next/prev buttons and a quiz at the end - after the quiz is done, learners should be able to leave the course. Since there's no way to add a button on the result page of the Rise quiz, it ends without any instruction what learners are supposed to do after the quiz.
Some people have suggested adding a "congratulation" lesson after that quiz, but that only works well without a sidebar, 
In another example, I tried locking the navigation. I inserted a quiz after the main lesson as well as a congratulation lesson afterwards. And while I got the Continue-option at the end of my quiz, Rise wanted me to complete all of the lessons before the quiz - but those were optional lessons learners didn't need to complete.

My current workaround is using a lesson and adding knowledge check blocks as a quiz. I prefer those, because knowledge check blocks allow more settings like changing the background color of the block or adding images between questions. I'm missing out on the test results - which is ok in this case, but obviously still not good and I can't limit the tries a learner gets (but unlimited attempts are pointless since you can't turn of Rise showing acceptable answers after a wrong answer...)

What I really need is 

- the option to end the course directly after the quiz

- the option to define which lessons need to be completed and which are optional instead of asking for a total completion percentage

- using knowledge checks to send data to a lms

- the option to mark certain lessons as invisible in the sidebar - then it's possible to use a congratulation lesson with an open sidebar

Désirée  Jochem

Hi Crystal,

thanks for reading my long ramblings ;)

A customizable result page would certainly be nice in the long run - for now, just having the option to add an exit course link at the end of the quiz would be a big help.
I'd also really like an option to turn off Rise showing right answers after a quiz or knowledge check is answered incorrectly - aka showing the learner if they got it right or wrong, but not showing "acceptable answers". There really is no need to retry a quiz if it's telling you the right answers...

Robyn Moormeister

I'm very excited you added the continue button after the quiz. The issue now is that is very hard to see and users are having issues seeing this kind of buttons and I'm getting lots of complains that they can not move forward. Is there a way we can manipulate this button by adding color, renaming it and making the font bigger so is more obvious to the user that they have to click on this section in order to continue.

Patty Raymond

What am i missing?

Martika Cox said:

Good news - we have now added a Continue button after Quiz for courses where the Next/Prev buttons have been turned off.

I think this means in a Rise quiz, but i don't see this option so  i must be missing some nugget about when/how this works. I have next buttons turned off, but want to be able to move from quiz to the next topic without the learner going to the sidebar

Ove Myrstad

Chiming in on Ina's comment from a few months back. It would be helpful to have a complete/finished/exit course button after ending the quiz when the quiz is at the end of the course. As is the 'Take again' button confuses the participants. With no obvious 'what now' explanation participants worry that closing the window will loose them their progress.