Courses where someone else needs to approve you

Feb 17, 2021

Most of my courses are for different workplace skills you can acquire. The thing is you will have to show someone (your boss) that you master them before you get approved.

If the skill is for instance using storytelling when doing a sales presentation, you actually need to give a presentation built on a story to get approved, a knowledge test is not interesting as a way to get approved.

You have to DO the right things, not just know them.

Right now I have solved this by adding an impossible one-question quiz at the end of each course (just an input question with a long random string as the correct answer).

Is there another, a better way to prevent learners from approving themselves on a course?

8 Replies
Karl Muller

Rise does not have this functionality as it is merely a course development tool. It does not have any learner management functions. 

Some Learning Management Systems (LMS) have this type of feature. The LMS we use can do this. When we set up a new online course, we have to specify what the course mastery criteria are: pass online course only, online course, plus offline assignment, send a notification of completion to an instructor or supervisor, manually marking a course complete by a LMS admin, etc.

Kristoffer Darj

I checked with TalentLMS where I host my courses. And they point right back to Articulate. That it's the responsibility of the course builder tool.

The problem is essentially that users by mistake start my impossible quiz and get frustrated. If they were unable to start the quiz everything would be fine.

If it's not solvable with Rise would it be possible to create a Storyline module with a non-startable quiz or in any other way prevent learners from completing a course?

Karl Muller

Rise offers three methods for a student to complete a course. The course developer can choose one of these options:

• View a percentage of the course
  • Pass a Quiz
  • Complete a Storyline block

You may be able to achieve your requirement by using a Storyline block that is set up not to mark the course as being complete.

Crystal Horn

Hi Kristoffer! Great discussion. Rise 360 output is only designed to track the learners' experiences in the Rise 360 course. It sounds like Talent LMS won't allow you to include the external event as a completion criterion for the module.

To build on your "impossible" quiz idea, could you have a fill-in the blank quiz question with a response that only the supervisor provides after the mastery is achieved? Let us know if you come up with any more ideas!

Kristoffer Darj

I finally got Storyline 360.

Is it possible to create something in storyline that just makes a course impossible to complete? I'm thinking perhaps a trigger that can never be fulfilled, inserted a Storyline block into a rise360-course.

But if someone knows something right away, let me know!

The impossible quiz works, but it frustrates users. It would be better with something that they never noticed.

Kristoffer Darj

I might have found a way.

A story with two slides, the second being an impossible 'fill in the blank'-quiz, and no way to get to the second slide.

Menus and controls turned off.

You could either leave the first slide blank or add some 'Yay! You're done with the course material' text which I did.