Embedding Rise output/link into Canvas LMS

Mar 01, 2017

Hello, I am new to Rise and Canvas and before progressing with the course build I need to know if these programs are compatible. Apparently Canvas is not SCORM or AICC compliant. I would prefer to have quiz results recorded in the LMS. Is this achievable? Thanks

54 Replies
Justin Grenier

Hello Janet, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

You can export Rise courses for AICC, SCORM 1.2, and SCORM 2004 4th Edition learning management systems. Just open your Rise course for editing, click Export in the upper right corner of the screen, and choose an LMS specification.

A quick Google search turns up this document in the Canvas knowledge base, stating that Canvas also supports SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004 4th Edition.  The same document explains how to import SCORM files as an assignment in Canvas.

Please let us know how it goes!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

HI Michelle,

What browser were you using to author the Rise course, and to view it in Canvas? Did you see any error messages when uploading the course? Were you following the same steps that Justin linked to above?

If you want to share your Rise export, I can try uploading it to SCORM Cloud as well. A good way to test any LMS course. 

Hi James, 

It's not an LMS I see mentioned here a lot, but if you haven't yet, take a look at the trial of Articulate 360 here!  You can export Rise content for LMS and choose SCORM, AICC or Tin Can API and then upload to Canvas to give it a test.

If you need anything else let us know! 

Errol Muir

Thanks for all this info.To bring together, 

I finally worked out how to take an Articulate Rise SCORM Module into Canvas as a link, rather than as an assignment. Here is the process I followed.

1.       In Canvas, go to Files, and set up the folder that you want to hold the Rise material. You will need to set up a separate folder or subfolder for each Rise module that you want to export. For example, if you have a weekly introductory module, then you will need a separate folder for each week. If you don’t then all of the unzipped Rise files will be jumbled together. You MUST do this before starting the transfer.

2.       In Articulate Rise, export your module as a SCORM 1.2 zipped file. Note its location (usually the ‘Download’ folder on your PC).

3.       In Canvas, navigate to the relevant folder, and in the top right you will see an Upload button. Click that, and then navigate to the zip file you want to upload. When you click open, you will be invited to expand the file once uploaded – choose this option. Note that the alternative is simply to upload it, without unzipping and I assume you would then have to unzip it in the folder – I didn’t do this. You will then see the upload process – a red bar at the top of the Canvas page. It is quite a slow process.

4.       Once uploaded, in Canvas, navigate to the folder called scormcontent and open. Right click on the file index.html and copy the link address.

5.       Return to the Modules section of Canvas open the document in which you want to put the link. Open it for editing and click where you want to link to be placed.

6.       Click on the link symbol in the toolbar at the top and paste the link in the box that opens. Click the Insert Link button and you should see a link appear on your Canvas page.

7.       Be sure to save your change before you leave the page.

8.       Clicking on the link brings up the usual Rise webpage.

Errol Muir

Elaine, thanks for the question.  I had not tried it in the Canvas app, but having just tried, you are correct - it does not open.  It works if you access the material via the web on a mobile device but not on the Canvas app.  I will raise it with Canvas and see if they have any suggestions.  Maybe the Articulate staff could assist also.

Errol Muir

Elaine, sadly the news from Canvas is not good - 

James Jones  Aug 3, 2018 1:43 AM advised me that
It doesn't sound like there is a solution. Check out this thread: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/krXVCyoN0MhkPWoGtROrmV?domain=community.canvaslms.com where a couple of heavyweights in Canvas mobile, including the person in charge of developing the mobile apps, discuss things. 

Although the subject mentions Storyline and not Rise, there is mention of Rise in there and the issues don't seem limited to just Storyline.

Tim O

I know I'm late to the party, but our school uses Canvas and I thought I'd chip in with some tips for implementing Rise content in Canvas. We're using Rise to replace all our lesson content in Canvas, which is about 14,000 lessons. At this time we've converted around 2,700 lessons. My advice:

1. We're moving away from SCORM because we've found that it can break during the Course Copy process.
    1. Additionally, we'd rather assess students directly in the LMS (especially with Quizzes.Next now available).
    2. Finally, I've been told SCORM hasn't been updated very recently - another reason to move away as technology improves and leaves it behind.
  2. We export our Rise courses as web links, upload them to our server, and embed them within Canvas either as an outside link or in the rich text editor through an iframe. If the link is stable on the server, then updating the Rise course on the server should automatically push the update to every Canvas course that has the Rise content in it.

I'd be glad to answer any more questions!

Elaine Monahan

Thanks, Tim. I did try the iframe and it worked just fine. I wasn't pleased with the look of the dual navigation of Canvas and Rise. Not sure that will change but I would like the option to remove the Rise menu, as you can do in Storyline.

Until then, we will either link to a new window or use the iframe.

Question: you said you "export our Rise courses as web links, upload them to our server, and embed them within Canvas either as an outside link or in the rich text editor through an iframe." Why do you take the extra step and put them on your server instead of leaving them on the Articulate server? Were you encountering problems?

You have quite an undertaking with all those courses! Good luck!

Tim O

We use Amazon Web Services (AWS) to host our content. Placing the Rise content there offers a couple advantages:

1. It allows us to have a permanent, stable link that is accessible by more than just the creator of the original Rise course (we have a team of editors/technologists that need access to all content)
  2. It gives us two copies of the Rise course:
    • A live version on AWS that projects out to all courses/students
    • A development version in Rise that can be updated throughout the year, then uploaded to the AWS whenever we deem it ready for students

We also host most of our other content (videos, syllabi, worksheets, etc.) on the AWS, so it was simply consistent for us to put Rise there, too. We had no problems with the Rise server. 

Chris Frisbie

Hello Tim,

We use a similar setup . . . we have an issue where students have to manually navigate back to where they left off in the rise content. Am I missing something in the export settings or is there another trick? This isn't an issue with storyline content as you can just set it up resume where the user left off, but I don't see such an option with rise.

Hi Chris,

Are you also exporting for Web or are you using an LMS option? If you're hosting in an LMS, Rise should be resuming to where the learner left off as long as your LMS supports that behavior.

If you're hosting in a web server, we don't have an explicit resume option you can enable in Rise (which we do have in Storyline), so it would likely start the user over accessing the course.