Free trial version limitations?

May 17, 2018

What happens to courses created with the free trial version of Rise? Is it possible to download and save them, or are they forever lost?

I tried to download a course as a web page, but when I open the index.html-link I get sent to the course in it's editing mode.

36 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sara, 

Your courses will remain intact on our servers for at least six months after your trial or subscription expires unless you delete them beforehand. Anyone who has direct links to your courses will still be able to view them. However, you won't be able to edit or export them. 

If you'd like to download them before your trial or subscription ends, do this for each Rise course: 

1) Click Export in the upper right corner. 

2) Use the LMS drop-down list to select an LMS spec or choose Web Only. 

3) Click Export in the upper right corner again to download a zip package of your course. 

Learners will still be able to view published Rise courses that you host on your own web server or LMS. 

This article has some details about what to do before your account expires and what happens to your apps and content afterwards.

Ihlman Education

Thank you, but that is exactly how I did it, and when I open the index-file it doesn't show me the course. It opens the https://360.articulate.com/ page. Do I have to upload it to my server to be able to view the course?

Saving as web page, downloading and opening the index file works with the regular storyline courses, but not with this one.

Hi Sara,

You should be able to view the web exported output offline as well. Offline viewing is supported in Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. 

Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge block local playback of Rise courses altogether. You'll just see a blank page in these browsers. To use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, you'll need to upload your course to a web server. 

What browser were you working in? 

Ihlman Education

I think it's a browser problem. When I open the file it opens google chrome (my default browser) but I land on the page that I am currently on, and it's the same whether or not I'm online.

If I try to open it in safari, the page is completely empty.

But, if I choose to open it in Firefox it works.

B 77790

Hi Ashley,

Can you help me? I'm new with Articulate 360 and I'm using a trial version right now. I made a Rise course and I want to download and save the course. I followed the 3 steps in your answer  above. I don't have a LMS so I choose: Export type: Web. Right now I have this downloaded zip file on my computer but I don't know how to open it. 

Glad you got it opened, Berthe! Although I'm not sure why it opened as a WinRAR file, or what you'd have to pay to open it. You should be able to unzip the folder and then click on the index.html file to play it. How do you usually open or extract the contents of a Zipped folder? 

You can also upload the entire zip folder to a web server and play the course back there too. 

B 77790

Hi Ashley! Thanks for your answer. Normally I open content of a Zipped folder in Windows explorer. But this time I'm working on a laptop that's not mine and has apparently the default option to open a Zipped file as a WinRAR file. 
But now I know that I also have the option to open the Zipped file with Windows Explorer on this laptop, so that problem is solved!

But I did not know that I can also upload the entire zip folder to a web server and play the course back there too. I would like to know more about that! How do I do that?

Hi Berthe, 

Ah, sounds like that laptop has a different way of opening ZIP folders than I'm used to as well. Using Windows Explorer sounds like the best method, and one you're familiar with, so I'm happy that'll work going forward.

When you've exported your Rise course for web, you'll upload the entire folder to your web server or look at embedding it onto your website. The specifics of this may depend on your site/server, so I'd suggest connecting with your IT admin for next steps. If you're looking for an external hosting solution, check out Amazon S3. It's what our team uses too, as it's really easy to get started. Tom Kuhlmann has written an article here on one way to get started using an additional tool called Cloudfront. 

Let us know if you need any other help! 

Michael Hoskings

Hi there - please help!! I have created a course on the trial version of Articulate 360 rise - I then exported it for the web. It arrived in my inbox, all zipped up - I unzipped and then copied the files across to One Drive. Now when I try to create a link from the index.html on Onedrive, it simply gives me a blank screen - any help would be appreciated. When I double click on index.html on the original zipped file on my computer, the course pops up fine 

Yolanda Wang

<Need help> It sounds to me that the I can use the trial version of Storyline 360 to publish a course (I intend to show a pilot course to my boss). However, when I select LMS>scrom1.2 and click on Publish... I got an error message saying the unexpected experience.. :( Does any one have the similar experience?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Yolanda!

We're happy to help you. Simply open a case by clicking here, and provide the following information: 

• Select whether you're using Storyline 360 or Rise 360
  • If you're using Rise 360, let us know what web browser you're using
  • Take a screenshot of the error, and attach it to the form

We'll get you back up and running in no time!

Crystal Horn

Hello, Mayy. Before your trial ends, you can export your course for web, LMS, or PDF. Those files can be hosted online, but they can't be uploaded back into Rise 360 at a later time. We will keep your content for 6 months when your trial ends in case you are added to an active subscription within that timeframe.

Let us know if you have other questions about your trial!

Hannah Stump

Hello, 

Similar question to many above. I created a Rise 360 module and my free trial is ending. When I export it as web, I am able to open the zip and when I click on the index.html I can see the course. However, when I try to have other people open the link on their computer, they get a blank screen and no course. What am I doing wrong?