How do I find out the date a Rise course was created?

Oct 14, 2019

Good afternoon!

I was wondering if there is a way to find out when a Rise course was first created. It shows the last edited date, but I can't see when it was created. Thanks!

14 Replies
Crystal Horn

I'm sharing a workaround for finding the course creation date using the JSON data you can pull from a Rise 360 Share link. As long as you go slowly, a non-JSON literate person like me 😃 can get a lot of data from the Share link:

1. Open your browser inspect or dev tools once you're on the Share link.
    screenshot of course cover page showing the browser menu with Inspect selected

2. Click on the Network tab and refresh the page.
    GIF animation showing the network tab being refreshed

3. Look for an xhr file that matches the last string of digits on your Share URL. Click on that file.
  4. Click on the Preview tab and copy that text.
    screenshot of JSON data to be copied

5. Paste that text into a JSON decoder, like https://jwt.io/, and search for the data. In this case, you'll see the original date that blocks in your course have been created as well as updated. You'll need to scroll through some of your text and formatting tags in the data, but you'll see createdAt and updatedAt entries.

This process should help you get a rough idea of when the course was originally created based on the date of the oldest block. I hope that helps if you haven't been keeping version records like Karl recommends above!

David Kolmer
  • Crystal Horn
  • , I need the creation date of all of our Rise content.

I need the creation dates for all the Rise courses, and the folks who created them no longer work with our organization. I am following your steps and have sorted by type under Network to isolate all of the XHR files. None of them match the last string of digits on the Rise 360 share link. So I looked at all of them and none of them have a single line of code like your example in step 4. Any ideas? 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, David! Here are a few things you can check:

1. Are you viewing the Rise 360 Share links? The URL should begin with https://rise.articulate.com/share/....
  2. Are you on the course main menu page that contains the Start button? 
  3. With the browser console open, did you refresh the browser after clicking on the Network tab?

Please let us know if you're still having trouble locating the XHR file that matches the last string of digits on your Share URL!

Gary M. Bufferd, CCRA Q-IAOCR

Hello Articulate Staff!  Has anything yet been implemented in response to the initial question (posted over 4 years ago) and the similar requests from other users?  I, too, would benefit from having an easy way to identify when a course was first created and also modified (something like an audit trail or change history would be great).  Thanks!