How to make SL360 courses embedded in Rise start without the "play" screen for tablets?

Oct 06, 2021

Hi-

I'm building a Rise course that is primarily to be used on a tablet. We have several SL360 interactions embedded throughout and it bothers me that they default to the black screen with the play button the first time you encounter them. Why does this happen? This really messes with the visual flow of the course. Is there any trick or workaround to getting the SL360 module to load the starting slide from the get-go? I'm attaching screenshots of the annoying black screen vs. the desired first slide of the interaction. I'm using the modern player in case that makes a difference. Any help is appreciated!

Current state (not desired):

Annoying black screen

After clicking the play button (I want this to be the default loading screen!):

Desired starting point

Thanks,
Logan

3 Replies
Stefanie Lawless

Hi Logan, 

There are probably a few ways to do this, but here are our favorite ways.

One way is to actually have the first slide in Storyline have zero audio/video (that way there's no play button) and we put a button on the first slide that jumps them to the slide that starts the audio/video. I've attached an example of the .story file we put into this sample project: https://rise.articulate.com/share/mUq7mwQV-ukKUSvNmFKG8Kj3_Xl5fTvy#/lessons/WCCL7rWdrjvTcvmEnJP_KhDrDRTTeXkE

Another way, is to use the Course Thumbnail in the Player to choose what your course thumbnail looks like beneath that play button: Course Thumbnail

I hope that helps!

Logan Stahler

Hi Stefanie-

Thanks for the suggestions! There is no audio or video on the first slide of the SL360 interactions - just static images/text. I think the "play" screen appears to be normal behavior when viewed on mobile devices, but I don't know why that has to be the case. 

I'll give the thumbnail option a try, but I still would like to avoid the user from having to click the "play" button to start things - it's one more (unnecessary) click!

Thanks,
Logan

Logan Stahler

Thanks, Matthew. I'm not loving the need to modify these embeds every time an update is pushed, so I am waving my white flag and using the course thumbnail feature that's part of the modern player. It's not ideal, but better than what I had. I wish the SL team would eliminate this play button business altogether - it seems like a feature that people don't like.