Importing/Exporting Rise Lessons into Storyline Courses or Vice-Versa

Feb 08, 2017

Hello all!  I'm a newbie here.  Just wondering if courses (or specific lessons) developed in Rise be exported/imported into a Storyline 360 Course or vice-versa.

Thanks!

Marty Evans

54 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Marty, 

Welcome to the Community and hope you're enjoying Rise so far! 

There isn't an option to import/export in Storyline or vice a versa, but we're looking at a feature to embed Storyline content into Rise although I don't have an ETA in regards to that feature yet. 

To place Rise content in Storyline, you could look at using the "Share" link as a web object? It may disrupt the responsive elements of Rise though. Perhaps you could share a bit more about what you're looking to accomplish with this set up and we can offer you some alternatives or other ideas?

Crystal Horn

Hey there, Raj!  Good news...we are working on a folders feature to help organize your courses.

It sounds like you're also interested in the ability to export Rise project files to backup your work.  That feature isn't on the roadmap yet, but we're keeping track of requests so that we can prioritize it properly.

Also, we're still finishing up Rise publishing to Articulate Review, so we'll let you all know as soon as that's ready.

Thanks for chiming in!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Raj!

Looks like Crystal beat me to it, but I wanted to add that if you'd like to keep a copy of a course for backup, the "Share" link will remain active even if your subscription lapses. You could also export the course for No LMS - Web Only and keep that copy for local playback. Here's a quick Peek to walk you through those steps. ☺️

Hi all,

You can now publish a Rise course to Articulate Review! Take a look at the tutorial here to get started. You can access all the Articulate 360 and Rise tutorials from this page. 

Today's update to Articulate 360 included a few other important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here.  

Let us know if you need anything else! 

Ryan Govreau

Hi All, I know this is an old thread but had a question. I work with multiple language courses. Traditionally I develop one Storyline course that branches to each language. My team would like to explore using Rise, however, branching or having multiple languages is not an option in Rise. 

My question: Can I develop a Rise course for each language and then insert into Storyline, essentially creating a bundle. My goal is rapid authoring, but creating a container for the multiple languages - easing the back end reporting process.  

Hi Jane,

You can use a Storyline block to add that content right into Rise. Take a look at the details here. 

Ryan, 

You can add more than one Storyline block into a Rise course, and you could link individual Rise courses into one master Storyline course, but I think the snag will still be tracking and reporting on the users completion of the course. Both with look for one completion element such as viewing a certain amount of the course, or a score on a quiz. 

Ryan Govreau

Ashley, thanks for the reply. I think I'm following you. When you say "link individual Rise courses into one master Storyline course", are you referring to using the link within Share > Preview link within Rise? 

As far as both Rise and Storyline looking for completion requirements, do you think I could get around this by selecting "No LMS - Web Only" from Rise, and trigger completion by a trigger in Storyline? 

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Ryan, you're spot on!

To break it down, you'll want to follow these steps for each of the Rise courses:

• Publish the Rise courses for No LMS-Web Only
  • Host the published output on a web server, and copy the link to the index.html file.
  • In Storyline 360, add a web object. Paste the link to the index.html file into the web object. 

Now let's address tracking. Were you hoping to track learners based on a quiz score, or track based on simply viewing the lesson? 

Ryan Govreau

Thanks Alyssa, 

Tracking and reporting is where it gets fun. On the opening slide, the learner would select their preferred language - English, Spanish, Chinese. Base on that selection, they would then go down the respective branch. Completion could be either one - quiz score or "slide view", typically there are knowledge checks at the end of our courses. 

Since there is no LMS reporting from the Rise courses, all the reporting elements would be coming from the Storyline shell, correct?

Alyssa Gomez

You got it, Ryan! You'll want to track completion within Storyline.

You could add a course completion trigger at the end of each language scene. 

• If you want to track based on passing a quiz, add the course completion trigger to the Success layer of each quiz result slide. Keep in mind the actual quiz score will not be reported to the LMS. 
  • If you want to track based on slides viewed, add the course completion trigger to base layer of the last slide in each scene. 
Lindsay Williams

Alyssa, 

I have a similar course structure to Ryan's. I am using Storyline as a wrapper in order to create branching so that learners can access Rise content customized to their entity. I have 10 Rise courses embedded as WebObjects. Learners select from a menu of 10 items which then directs them to the appropriate Rise module. I have a results slide in Storyline which I am using to track completion. However, I don't want the learner to be able to click Continue to reach the results slide until after the Rise content has been fully reviewed. Do you know if there is a way to pass a variable from Rise to Storyline so that I can change the state of the Continue button from disabled to normal once the Rise module is complete? 

Hi Lindsay,

I haven't seen a lot of examples of using Rise inside Storyline, as it's more often the reverse set up to allow for both to be responsive. We've built the method here to allow you to track a Storyline course inside of Rise, but since you're using the reverse set up I'll be curious what the community offers for ideas! 

Salvador Zapata

Hello,

I am also new to Rise, and was wondering if this feature to Import from Storyline 360 or convert a file to Rise is available.

My issue is that I have Storyline 2 files that I have converted to Storyline 360, and need to convert them to Rise without having to redo all the work in Rise.

Please let me know if this is possible?

Thanks,

Sal