Importing/Exporting Rise Lessons into Storyline Courses or Vice-Versa

Feb 08, 2017

Hello all!  I'm a newbie here.  Just wondering if courses (or specific lessons) developed in Rise be exported/imported into a Storyline 360 Course or vice-versa.

Thanks!

Marty Evans

54 Replies
Salvador Zapata

Hi Jen, 

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to to this.  I wanted to use interactions in Storyline 360 and use them or convert them to Rise, it seems that it is possible by converting them and exporting them to Blocks and then adding them by importing them into Rise.

Sorry it has not worked for me. 

Wished I could help.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jim,

It'll depend on what you're looking to accomplish. Let's get a bit more detail to point you in the right direction: 

• do you have content already created in Rise or Storyline?
  • how do you hope the audio plays back? By user action or automatically? 

Let me know anything else you can about your course setup! 

Jim Swike

Yes we have a Rise course built. We would like to add the Text to Speech content to the Rise course. Or do we have to bring the Rise Course into Storyline? The goal is to have a collaborative course that the team can contribute content to. Thanks.

Jim Swike
Faculty Technology Training Manager
Adjunct Associate Professor
St. John's University, St. Augustine Hall, Room 401
(718) 990 - 5914
My Webex Room: https://sju.webex.com/meet/swikej

This email may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

Jim Swike

Thanks Alyssa. This is very helpful and we will be using it. Can you make the audio, auto-play when the course participant clicks on the lesson. Otherwise they may not click on the audio. Thanks again.

Jim Swike
Faculty Technology Training Manager
Adjunct Associate Professor
St. John's University, St. Augustine Hall, Room 401
(718) 990 - 5914
My Webex Room: https://sju.webex.com/meet/swikej

This email may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jim,

So glad that Alyssa's demo was helpful for you :)

We haven't implemented autoplay of media in Rise because it’s not a web-standard experience across devices.  Most phone browsers actually prevent auto-play of media.   It usually needs to be user-initiated.

I do know that this has been a topic of conversation and perhaps the solution shared here by Michael will be helpful for you as well since it sounds like you're going to be utilizing Storyline for some of your content.

It also looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Hi Rachael,

How are you looking to embed the Rise course into Storyline?

If you're grabbing the Share link or a link from your own website to an exported Rise course, you could add that as a web object into Storyline. You won't be able to edit the Rise piece inside Storyline, but if you make changes on Rise that will be reflected if you're using the Share link. 

Let me know if you need anything else! 

Rachael Sweeten

My question is on importing and compatibility. My intention is to complete the work from beginning to end in Articulate 360.  In my example, if I have a completed Rise course, can I import it into Storyline --functionally--and resume building it out further?

I understand the benefits of placing Storyline blocks inside Rise.  What are the design limitations and compatibility between the two products?  I'm asking in order to make recommendations for conversion of old curriculum at my institution. (Meaning, If I choose one format for course content how stuck am I with that decision?)

Hi Rachel,

You can import Storyline into Rise using the Storyline block, and to add a Rise course directly into a Storyline course you'll need to use a little creativity!

My thought is to embed a Rise course into your Storyline course:

• If you use the Share link to embed inside Storyline, you can keep editing and building your Rise course, and those changes will be reflected in the Storyline course. 
  • If you export the Rise course for Web and embed that into Storyline, any changes you make in Rise won't be reflected in the version you linked to Storyline. 

I haven't seen any examples embedding Rise into Storyline, so I'll be curious to see if you take that route! 

This Dog-Care basics course is a great example of adding Storyline into Rise, and it's done so seamlessly you likely can't tell which interactions are Storyline blocks! (Hint: One of the interactions in the Grooming section is built in Storyline). As far as design limitations, Storyline is 100% customizable and Rise is template based, and so choosing the right tool will be based on what you need to build. 

For your old curriculum, where was it built? Anything built in Powerpoint/Presenter, Engage, Quizmaker or earlier versions of Storyline can be easily imported into Storyline 360.  That is likely the easiest and fastest option.

If you're truly starting from scratch, you could choose either tool depending on your needs. If you ultimately need to switch I'd imagine that you're looking to build something more complex in Storyline or simpler in Rise, and you'd have the content at your fingertips to layout in the other tool.

Shilpa Saraiya

Hi,

I am currently using the trial version of Articulate 360. I have some questions :

I have made some courses in Rise which has some quizzes. I want to import Rise in Story line and publish it to track completion and scores. I have been following the steps mentioned above. I did embed the Rise course as a  web object in Story line, when I first did, I could see the course open in a different browser, but now I can't. 

Also, I want to know if I could track the scores using a trial version, because I am not able to right now. I don't have any quizzes in Storyline, just in Rise. 

Am I doing something wrong or is it the trial version that is restricting me?

Allison LaMotte

Hi Shilpa,

If you want your web object to appear in a separate window, you'll want to make sure you've selected that option. When you're first inserting your web object, you'll see that option in the insert window (see screenshot). If you've already inserted it, simply click on the web object to open the options tab and make sure the correct option is selected (see screenshot).

When you insert your Rise 360 course into your Storyline 360 as a web object, there's no way to track your Rise 360 quizzes. If you'd like to track them, you have two options:

• insert your Storyline course into your Rise course via a Storyline block instead of the other way around. Here's how that works.
  • rebuild your quiz slides in Storyline

I hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Alexis Guethler

I would like to go the other way with this.  I have developed a pilot course in Rise  However, because we need quiz and reflection reporting we are using added tools (google forms/quizzes and padlet) to allow us to capture student answers.   I would now like to publish this course so that it can be uploaded by multiple faculty members into blackboard and so that it will allow them to capture their students answers.  I do not want to manage google forms and padlet for them so I need to to be something the course itself does.  I am hoping I can put all the existing Rise content into Storyline 360 and build out the evaluations from there since storyline can track student answers and report them to the LMS.  How would this work? 

(Note I am an Instructional Design student using an Articulate account from my institution so I need a stand alone solution that will work after my account expires).

Thank You!

Alexis

Allison LaMotte

Hi Alexis,

You can certainly build out your surveys and quizzes directly in Storyline. You'll want to test this out and make sure you're able to see the answers on the LMS side because while Storyline always sends that information, not all LMSs allow you to view it.

If you don't want to sign up for your own Articulate 360 subscription, the only other option would be to buy Storyline 3, which is a standalone license. There's more information on that here.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Shannon Bowling

I need to do what Ryan is doing.  I have 3 different Rise courses.  General topic is the same, but language and details vary by role in the organization.  Assigning 3 different courses to the correct people would be cumbersome within our LMS.  However, having a single Storyline course where the learner can select their role and is taken to the corresponding Rise course could be a good solution.  Unfortunately, I don't know what you mean when you say "Host the published output on a web server, and copy the link to the index.html file".  Can someone provide specific instructions for a non-tech savvy person as to bullet point two above? Quiz is built directly into Rise at this time.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Shannon! 

Do you already have a web server where you could host published content? If not, both of the options below are free, and I've included links to video tutorials on how to set them up!

• Amazon S3 offers free hosting with generous usage limits. If you go over your limit, you'll be charged a small fee. See this video tutorial by Tom Kuhlmann to learn more about Amazon S3.
  • Google Cloud also has a free hosting service. You'll be charged a small fee if you go over the free limit. See this video tutorial by Tom Kuhlmann to learn more about Google Cloud.
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Nelumdini! Thanks for your question!

Rise 360 and Storyline 360 are very different authoring tools, and there isn't a way to directly transfer content from one tool to another. 

Rise 360 is a web-based tool where you can quickly and easily build a course using blocks and lessons. 

Storyline 360 is a desktop app for building fully-customized interactions. Courses are designed using slides and scenes.

You can dive deeper into the difference between the two tools in these articles: