Learning Journal In Rise

Dec 05, 2018

UPDATE JUNE 2020:

Firstly, Articulate recently implemented a small update to Rise. As a result, all new exports from Rise will need to include the most recent version of LearningJournal.js which is found at the usual link.

Secondly, at any time Articulate could update their code and bring a breaking change to the Learning Journal. Over a year ago, I shared this functionality freely with the community and the code comes with no warranty or support either implied or expressed. If at any time you want or need to remove the Learning Journal from your modules, simple remove any STATEMENT-NOTE entries that refer to the Learning Journal.

I built a cool Learning Journal feature for Rise that has been very well-received. I thought I'd share it in case anyone wanted to a. use it or b. improve on it.

The Learning Journal allows the learner to enter text responses to journal prompts throughout a Rise course. At the end of the course, the learner can print their learning journal of all their responses. The responses are saved to the browser so that they persist on future visits to the Rise course.

EDIT May 2019: At the request of a member of the forum, I created a HOW-TO video below that shows each step of the HOW-TO document in action.

Example Rise Course
http://amelangrise.s3.amazonaws.com/learningjournal/index.html

HOW-TO Document
https://github.com/mikeamelang/learning-journal/raw/master/Learning%20Journal%20HOW-TO.docx

HOW-TO Video

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/33873893-2ea1-46d9-9415-3efca951d74c/review

Learningjournal.js file (right-click and save)

http://raw.githubusercontent.com/mikeamelang/learning-journal/master/Learningjournal.js

Learningjournal.css file (right-click and save)
http://raw.githubusercontent.com/mikeamelang/learning-journal/master/Learningjournal.css

Project github site
https://github.com/mikeamelang/learning-journal

I would love any feedback and help to improve the functionality and code.

Mike Amelang

279 Replies
Michelle Galeazzi

Hi Emma

I have used multiple in topics with no issues....

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more visit the Mimecast website.

Emma Pawson

Hi Michelle, it's either pulling all responses but the first question only, or it's only pulling the last response and question. I have checked all files and they're correct/up to date. Do you have an example of where you've used it twice and share the files by any chance? TIA

Michelle Galeazzi

Hi Emma

Have you made sure that the fields have different prompts? Same section name is ok.

[cid:image002.jpg@01D756EA.2E3F10E0]
This is what the learner sees:

[cid:image006.jpg@01D756EA.2E3F10E0]

What pulls into the journal

[cid:image007.jpg@01D756EA.2E3F10E0]

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more visit the Mimecast website.

Justine May

Hi Mike, 

I'm encountering a similar issue (I think) as this. I have a course in English which is working perfectly...but when I follow the same steps in German, the functionality stops working. Would love to get some help with this if possible?

I'm using xAPI and have attached the English version and the German version so you can see if I'm doing anything wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Sarah Hillmann

Hi Mike & Rise Community!

This is absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing. How long would it take to configure this for a module with two questions?

Also, I just read the update from June 2020. Does that mean, in case of an update of code, the index.html would need to be changed/updated? 

Sarah 

Nicola Fern

If you package the folder by right clicking on it and sending to zip, you will end up with a folder inside the zip that contains your content. You need instead to go directly into the folder where scormcontent and scormdriver are visible, then select all of the contents of the folder and add to zip. This prevents the extra folder nesting.

Jane Ahern

Thanks Mike. This looks like just what we need.  Unfortunately, I get this message from Google Chrome when I try to save the two files:

Why the download was blocked
Your file download may be blocked for one of a few reasons:

We think it might be a malicious, unwanted, uncommon, or insecure file.

Malicious: You tried to download malware.

Unwanted: You tried to download a deceptive piece of software. This program, disguised as a helpful download, may actually make unexpected changes to your computer or device.

Uncommon: You tried to download an unfamiliar and potentially dangerous piece of software.

Insecure: You tried to download a file or program that wasn't secure but was started on a secure page. In some cases, you can choose to download anyway.

We've found that the website you tried to download the file from has been known to distribute malware.

Can anyone confirm the current safety of these files for download, or otherwise?