NEW IN RISE 360: Scenario Block

May 07, 2019

Today we released the scenario block for Rise 360, and we think you’re going to love it.

Now you can easily add branching scenarios featuring Content Library 360 characters to Rise 360 projects. Just drop dialogue, responses, and feedback into a scenario block to walk learners through choices and their consequences. And because it’s Rise 360, your scenario will look stunning on any device.

See the new scenario block in action:

Learn more about working with the scenario block and explore an example in Trina’s article. We can’t wait to see what you create with this new block type!

146 Replies
Birkman International

This is an amazing feature! Thank you so much Articulate. This is perfect for our use-case - we are a company based on having conversations with clients, so this is a beautiful tool for us. I can create things like this using Storyline, Premiere, or Captivate - but this makes it so much easier and integrates beautifully in Rise.

That said, I am very interested in seeing more room for feedback. 200 characters is nothing for complex concepts. This is all I was able to fit into a feedback:

"Someone's Social Acuity score would typically only factor in when considering the other scores in conjunction with it. For example, a low Social Acuity on the 'too-critical' side paired with high Dist"

I think the first sentence would not be enough information to be valuable. That's why I wanted to have an example. But there is not enough room.

Cindy Holland

It's exciting to see this new addition to rise. I was really hoping to include this into a project we are building in rise. However there is no way to customize the characters, or even disable them to just use a background image. Without the option to upload your own characters we won't touch this feature, we use custom illustrations for all of our work.

Bill SMITH

Agree, this is a fantastic first step.  Thank you.  We appreciate that uploading organisation's own characters is probably in future development but in general we would love the character suite across Articulate to include children and young people and adults dressed for everyday home life.  We are creating elearns for social workers so real families and everyday (not expensive on trend) room photos would be brilliant.

Allison LaMotte

Hi Rebecca,

Because Rise 360 courses are fully responsive, your images may have different dimensions as they adapt to different devices and orientations. For this reason we don't have any specific size recommendations, but check out these best practices when working with media in Rise.

Regarding the blurring, that's done intentionally so the learner can focus on the character and the scenario text. There's no way to get rid of that.

I hope that's helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Allison LaMotte

Hi Anna,

Do you mean the labels in the course settings that are related to the scenario block? If so, I just tried and everything is working correctly on my end. 

The quickest way to resolve this issue is to have our Support Team take a look. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Dr. John Smith

I agree with adding audio, external characters, feedback balloons, and I would like to see a drag & drop link (like BranchTrack style) to associate slides.  Had to create a very lengthy spreadsheet to track which slide goes where.  Also, the character limits of 150/200 depending on the text field was a little bit shy of our requirements.

Stacy Kietzer

I just wanted to provide some feedback that limiting the interactions to 150-200 characters is extremely hard to write good content for. For instance, I'm using this to teach my call center staff how to properly acknowledge and preface but it's so limiting on text that I can't properly articulate what they should be saying as the reps. Any plans to increase the character limits? 

Allison LaMotte

Thanks for your feedback Stacy and Rebecca! We totally get that it can be challenging to say everything you need to say with a limited amount of characters. The character limits were put in place to make sure scenario blocks look great on any device. If you need to include additional information, you could try branching to text slides instead of using the dialogue slides.

I hope that helps! :)

Stacy Kietzer

I've been finding temporary work arounds, but for my needs I really need more characters. 150 is just too limiting. If it could get bumped to 200 or even 250, that'd give more room to make the responses more robust. For now I've reverted back to building my own version of this type of interaction in Storyline360 and importing into my Rise content. I just wish I could get the player to span the size of the page like this interaction does.

Either way, this interaction is a great addition to the options in Rise and I look forward to seeing if any of the above suggestions get implemented in future updates. Thanks for the response!

Stacy Kietzer

Something else I'm noticing with this interaction the more I use it is that I go in and edit the characters and their poses and by the time I push out the course for review, they've all reverted back to a defaulted pose that I didn't chose. Not sure if this is a bug or if you are just limited in what poses you can select for the characters. 

Allison LaMotte

Hi Darren,

You can swap out the background image by clicking on Edit Background on the first page of your Scene. This will allow you to choose a background image from Content Library or upload one of your own. However, there's no way to resize it or move it around.

Right now there's no option to move the character around, but that is a great feature request! Would you be up for telling us more about your needs?

In the meantime, if there’s anything else I can do to help, please let me know!