New Rise Feature: Sidebar Visibility

Jan 10, 2018

Hey Everyone,

We released a new feature to Rise today that allows you to set sidebar visibility.

You can now choose to:

1. Set the sidebar to be open at course launch (default)
  2. Set the sidebar to be closed at course launch
  3. Remove the sidebar completely from the course

Check out this 90 second video for the details:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/f22ae2c2-90fa-431e-9d40-08cb8d0e4a5b/review

Enjoy!

Adam

60 Replies
Marcia Kitshoff

Hi Nicole

Thanks for the response. I have attached a video of a test course to better explain what I mean. Regardless of whether the sidebar is set to hidden or visible by default, the only place the learner has the option to change whether the sidebar is open or closed is in the very first block. As soon as you scroll down past the first block, the hamburger icon disappears and the sidebar is locked into whatever position was selected. The only way to change the position is to scroll all the way to the first block again.

While this is not difficult when there is very little content on the page, it becomes painful when you have continued through a lot of content and then perhaps want to open the menu again (or close it). Especially on a mobile device where you want to use as much of the screen as possible to view the content, but may need to refer to the menu from time to time, this is an issue.

I hope this clarifies the question?

Many thanks

Marcia

Nicole Legault

Thank you Marcia, for making that video and for your further explanation. It does clarify and I do understand now what you mean. That is the expected behaviour (not a bug) but I can see your point and understand how you'd like it to be glued/stuck so the hamburger icon is always visible, no matter how far down the page you've scrolled. I would highly encourage you to make a feature request for that.  Our dev team is always making updates and rolling out new features and one of the key ways we identify what to implement is through feature requests from our customers. Thanks again for taking the time to leave a comment and share your feedback with us! We appreciate that.

Martika Cox

Hi Kevin,

I’m sorry that you aren’t seeing your sidebar.

Can you send me a copy of your course and I can take a look?  Here’s how:

1. Open the course from your Rise dashboard.
  2. Click Share in the upper right corner of the screen and copy the shareable link. (You have the option to protect your course with a password.)
  3. Share the link here. And if you set a password for it, let me know.
Kevin Barnard

Hi Martika,

Here’s the sample course I made up for self-learning.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/0FdkW1uN2xkNfLZPlGlQmhSdoJgNwJeK

I don’t see how to turn on the sidebar. Any help you can offer is appreciated!

Kevin Barnard
2013 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94115
kevin@barnardgraphics.com
415-672-8137

Kevin Barnard

Hi Martika,

Here’s the sample course I made up for self-learning.

https://rise.articulate.com/share/0FdkW1uN2xkNfLZPlGlQmhSdoJgNwJeK

I don’t see how to turn on the sidebar. Any help you can offer is appreciated!

Kevin Barnard
2013 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94115
kevin@barnardgraphics.com
415-672-8137

Martika Cox

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for sharing your course. I took a look and I can view the sidebar as a learner with no issue.

Were you perhaps looking for the sidebar in authoring mode or on the initial course overview page? If that’s the case, right now there isn’t a way to do either. If that would improve your experience using Rise you can submit a feature request here.

Also, I noticed that your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if you would like by clicking Edit beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Robert Edgar

I share Marcia's observation. 

On a small device like an iPhone, the sidebar becomes available only through a hamburger icon in the top left of the first page. If the user scrolls down the page, the hamburger scrolls off, and the user  has to scroll all the way back to have access to the hamburger. 

Is there a way to either jump to the hamburger from anywhere lower in the screen (once it has scrolled out of visibility), or set the hamburger to a "floating" mode, where it will stay accessible.

Thanks

Robert

Robert Edgar

Yep, that would work just fine.

Robert Edgar

Program Manager, Learning Systems Design and Development

Director, Stanford Redwood City Video Studio

Stanford | University Human Resources | Learning Solutions Group

505 Broadway, 5th Floor, 8443

Redwood City, CA 94063

Work: 650-721-3023 | Cell: 650-387-5914

rbedgar@stanford.edu

Visit Us Online: Learning Solutions Group

Stay Connected: Cardinal at Work Connect

Archana Gollamudi

Hi Admins - For compliance purposes, when we create an eLearn, then the learner should not be able to go back into the course from the final assessment, and come back to where he left off - which is something the learner can do currently in Rise. And we are not able to use this tool to create compliance courses for this reason. Is there any way to prevent the learner from accessing the sidebar from the FA, and keep it accessible from other modules? Thanks!