Reduce size of Exported LMS file

Jun 25, 2020

I currently have a course that needs to be less than 50Mb to fit in our LMS.  The current exported SCORM 1.2 version is over 66Mb.  There are no videos in this course, just a few Rise scenarios.  I have replaced all pictures with low res pics and the size of the exported course actually went up.  Any ideas to reduce the size of the course other than removing content or splitting between courses?

15 Replies
dawn rose

Hi, I'm having the same issue, every time I use the scenarios in Rise it makes the course size so huge I can't upload it into our LMS (same 50MB limit as above). 

I've just used 2 scenarios in one course - came out as 66MB, removed them took it down to 24MB - this and the word count is making the scenario block unusable.

Lea Agato

Hi Timothy,

I understand you need to make your SCORM file smaller. We'd love to take a closer look to determine how the size can be reduced. Would you mind sharing a copy of your file with us? You can share it with us privately using this link

Once we receive your file, one of our customer support engineers will reach out and work with you directly.  

TIMOTHY BURRESS

Hello

I am checking with our legal department to make sure they are ok with me forwarding a scorm file to you. While we wait for them to get back to me can I ask another question?

I have a course called Decoding Private Equity and when I published the initial scorm file it was enormous (856MB). So I divided the course into the components you see below (course overview, Foundational Concepts, etc.) and produced a scorm file for each section. Several questions come to mind:

1. Is this the way to publish courses to LearnWorlds?
2. Does having each section with a scorm file produce a bigger challenge when trying to run reports to see who has completed the course, etc.?
3. How do I string the sections together in LearnWorlds so they flow together and do not appear separate. For example, when I finish ‘Course Overview’ the LMS does not automatically move me to the next section ‘Foundational Concepts’
[cid:image001.png@01D9E638.9066E600]

Regards,

Tim Burress|Private Equity Primer | 804.513.4116 | www.pe-primer.com

Jose Tansengco

Hello Timothy,

We don't have access to the LearnWorlds LMS environment so we won't know exactly if there any special requirements that need to be observed before published courses could be uploaded there, but if its anything similar to other SCORM compliant LMS providers, then following the standard way to publish Rise 360 courses to LMS should be sufficient.

I believe completion is more easily tracked if all lessons are kept within a single course as opposed to having them placed in their own individual courses. Having just one course means the learner only needs to meet the completion criteria once to be marked as complete. 

Connecting multiple courses together to create one seamless Rise 360 course is currently not possible, but you can check out this thread where some members of the community shared suggestions on how multiple courses can be merged together. 

Let me know if you have any questions!