Reduce the size of SCORM exported from Rise

Jun 12, 2023

I am using one of the courses that is pre-made within Rise called "A Guide to Managing Remote Teams." When I export as a SCORM, the file is between 800-900MB. Our LMS only allows 500MB.

I've tried a couple things. I opened the zip, found the video files, compressed them, put them back into the folder and re-zipped the contents. It was smaller than 500MB, but my LMS didn't like it. (error) So, then I took those compressed videos and replaced the videos in the actual project. When I exported the SCORM, it was literally bigger than before!

I'm not sure what it is doing in the export process, but it seems to be pulling the full res versions of the videos from somewhere??

Anyway.... anyone have any thoughts? I've seen where people have mentioned a website that will compress your zip files, but they have a limit on file size that makes it useless.... 

1 Reply
Christopher Santos

Hi Matt,

Rise already reduces the file sizes of videos and images (while maintaining its quality to ensure that your zip packages are at an optimal size.

If you have several videos contributing to the file size, an option you can do is to host them in a video hosting site and then use the Multimedia block to embed it and help reduce the overall size of the SCORM package.

You can also reach out to our support team, and we can help investigate why the SCORM file is as big as it is.