Return to previous versions of Rise lessons after edits have been made

Nov 09, 2017

Is it possible to return to an older version of a course after edits have been made? We can see the old version in Review, but what if we decided we didn't like the changes that have been made and wanted to return the Rise course to two versions ago (so that it is editable in Rise)?

80 Replies
Julie Stelter

I'm so disappointed [tears]. Articulate you should be embarrassed [beet red]. 3 years and you don't have version control in the Rise platform [OMG]. 

Here's our sad story [sniff]. We were breaking up a course into smaller RISE courses but did not back up the larger course before beginning. Mistakes happen. Thankfully, I recently published it so we can recreate it [sigh].

Articulate: Please model after me and admit you made a grave mistake and tell us the timeline of when version control will be available in RISE. This is the only response I want from Articulate on this matter. I‘m quite sure my head will explode if you:

• Give me the spiel of software companies don't tell what and when they are rolling out. I think we all know version control is not innovative. So, no need to be secretive here. Most new users probably think it is already a feature because it is such a basic need [hopefully I’m preventing someone else’s mistake].
  • Ask me to put this fundamental feature as a “suggestion” to your developers. Again 3 years and counting. This response insults me and I bet other users of your product. And it should be embarrassing to your company [tick tock].
  • I appreciate the position that articulate staff moderating this community are in. But really, don't make them write a "cheery-thank you for the suggestion nonresponsive post" to me. It is mean to your staff and I feel like I'm "blaming the messenger" and possibly ruining their day.

We made this same mistake about 1 year ago. (See it’s not that hard). I really hope that if/when we make this mistake again (mistakes do happen), I will have version control and the software features that people normally expect with award-winning software. 

Looking for action not words,

Julie

Ayesha A

Hi All,

Hope you're doing well & safe?

My team and I are experiencing a problem with some of the translations.

I understand that we could only import .xlf file for translations onto the original file that we had chosen to export the .xlf file from.

Currently, by chance, the original file that was used to import the translated .xlf file got revised and now we are unable to import any other languages.

Could someone please advise if there is a way for us to resolve this?

I tried researching on the internet; however, there doesn't seem to be much help on replacing content in .xlf file to make it compatible with a different copy of the working file.

I was hoping that we could probably be able to solve this if there was an option to revert to the previous version (as I presume there are some unique identifiers that are aligned with that version)

Thanks for your attention.

Prabhath

Bangalore, India

Alexandre Foisy-Geoffroy

Prabath:

Hello!

Personally, I found that copy-pasting the contents of the Rise module to Word manually, getting that translated, and then copy-pasting the translation into a copy of the training works better than the .xlf file for this.

Some translation software, such as Trados, do not deal well with that .xlf file. 

Basically, what I understand the problem to be is that translation software is pretty good at reading simple HTML files and stuff like that, but a Rise or Storyline project has very dynamic content generated through functions and stuff like that, so the contents are not as readily available as the contents of an HTML file. 

Ayesha A
Alexandre Foisy-Geoffroy

Prabath:

Hello!

Personally, I found that copy-pasting the contents of the Rise module to Word manually, getting that translated, and then copy-pasting the translation into a copy of the training works better than the .xlf file for this.

Some translation software, such as Trados, do not deal well with that .xlf file. 

Basically, what I understand the problem to be is that translation software is pretty good at reading simple HTML files and stuff like that, but a Rise or Storyline project has very dynamic content generated through functions and stuff like that, so the contents are not as readily available as the contents of an HTML file. 

Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your suggestion...

Though, I was hoping Articulate would enable an option to revert to a chosen version or at least ease the process of converting .xlf files from different versions..

Currently, due to the limitations, we might end up with lots of rework/wait time.

Why can't it be simplified like how it's done in Storyline 360?

If I must compare Rise 360 with Storyline 360, the latter is a walk in the park kind of easy to work with while exporting/importing translation files..

Hope someone from Articulate could help us get this reviewed and implement a change that would benefit many users...

Moreover, with the current process, no matter how much control we try to implement, such problems are bound to recur..

I wonder why this problem isn't addressed in so many years...

Ayesha A

Also, adding on, it would be great if Articulate could enable some options to set cue points/highlight the working file in a different colour to reduce recurrences of such problems...

In the current situation, we were able to recover the file (it seems the developer had deleted the working file due to a misunderstanding); however, the features, problems that I observed are very real and if it is not just me, a lot of others would benefit.....

Alicia Rosario

This is really frustrating. I constantly get emails about new features for Storyline (which I can't even use because I'm on a Mac) but you still don't have version control on your roadmap? I've read several threads now where folks are asking for this. Does your team actually take action on this feedback?