Rise 360 Accessibility Question | How do I ensure labeled graphic block with markers work with screen readers

Sep 21, 2022

I have a course that includes a labeled graphic with markers. I need to ensure that this is accessible for the blind. I'm being told that none of the buttons/markers are labeled. Unfortunately, I can figure out how to add alt text to the actual image but not the markers so I'm not sure how to proceed. 

Here is a link to the labeled graphic block in Review 360:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/5f71880c-02d6-45b6-b3e1-8ee408e42cef/review

I've attached the feedback received from a sighted colleague of the blind employee.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Pinned Reply
Crystal Horn

Highlighting what Marvie shared, we surfaced "invisible" labels that screen readers use to announce your content to learners using assistive technology! You can edit and translate this label set according to your learner needs.

We hope this enhancement makes it even easier to build learning accessible for all!

Yes, the labeled graphic marker icons are properly labeled. Even better, it is now fully customizable. We've recently released a feature to enable authors to customize and/or translate all screen reader labels we use. It is found in Settings -> Labels.
10 Replies
John Morgan

Hi Jennifer,

I'm sorry you are having this issue with labeled graphic markers! Currently, alt text is not available for markers on labeled graphics. The best way to possibly get a feature added to Rise 360 is by submitting a  feature request.

Also, I read that you currently don't have access to a screen reader but I have GOOD NEWS!! NVDA is a commonly used screen reader and is available here for free!. If you have a Mac, VoiceOver is a screen reader that is built into Mac computers!

Thanks for checking in!

Crystal Horn

Highlighting what Marvie shared, we surfaced "invisible" labels that screen readers use to announce your content to learners using assistive technology! You can edit and translate this label set according to your learner needs.

We hope this enhancement makes it even easier to build learning accessible for all!

Yes, the labeled graphic marker icons are properly labeled. Even better, it is now fully customizable. We've recently released a feature to enable authors to customize and/or translate all screen reader labels we use. It is found in Settings -> Labels.
Brian Brandenburg
Marvie Mulder

It is found in Settings -> Labels.

Hi, I am not seeing where these "settings" are. In the labeled graphic I am working with there are only padding, image width, and color settings (see attached image). 

I have a question about reading order for JAWS as well. Is it appropriate to add that here? or start a new thread? Basically, when one opens the marker, the reading order lands on the close button, so I wonder if someone hears, "close modal button" first, if they would down arrow to find the content...? I would like to see the tab order switched. Is that an add a new feature issue?

Marvie Mulder
Brian Brandenburg
Marvie Mulder

It is found in Settings -> Labels.

Hi, I am not seeing where these "settings" are. In the labeled graphic I am working with there are only padding, image width, and color settings (see attached image). 

I have a question about reading order for JAWS as well. Is it appropriate to add that here? or start a new thread? Basically, when one opens the marker, the reading order lands on the close button, so I wonder if someone hears, "close modal button" first, if they would down arrow to find the content...? I would like to see the tab order switched. Is that an add a new feature issue?

Hey Brian! So sorry I totally missed this.
When the labeled graphic marker is expanded, the reading order is the marker title, then previous & next buttons, then the content. Is it not what you are experiencing? I made a quick recording so we can compare experiences:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/195b99a4-430b-4c46-8450-929cb5a660ce/review

It's worth mentioning that screen readers typically have 2 modes, browse & focus modes. In my demo, I'm in browse mode where the screen reader focuses sequentially on the elements exposed on the screen. When a learner tabs, it enters focus mode and is expected that the focus goes to the interactive elements only, such as the prev/next buttons.

Cheers!
Marvie