RISE - accessibility features

Jan 22, 2018

One year ago there was a discussion around accessibility -  WCAG AA, WAI-ARIA Labels, Section 508, DDA, Equality Act and Screen Reader Supports.

It was noted that Articulate were working on this and that there would be further developments in this regard. Have the accessibility issues been addressed. This is important for me as I am about to develop a course and would like to use RISE rather than Storyline. 

Thank you 

124 Replies
Ayesha A

Hi Sharon,

It's really interesting yo read what you have done. I am about to start with such a course so needed your guidance. what guidelines you follow/ what suggestions you have for develipment/testing /execution of such a course.

And if possible will you be able to share your course with me: shruti.sinha@schneider-electric.com

Thanks 

shruti

Allison LaMotte

Hi Brian!

Rise isn't fully accessible yet. Our ultimate goal is to meet accessibility guidelines. So far, we’ve increased the contrast for built-in course features, added alt text for images, and added keyboard-accessible navigation. And we’re currently working on full screen reader support. Stay tuned

Brian Wojcik

Is that for both the authorware side as well as the content that is produced? I do not understand why - in this day and age - products are not produced with accessibility as a central tenet of the core design.

Brian W. Wojcik, Ed.D., ATP
Assistant Professor
Director of Special Education Graduate Programs
University of Nebraska at Kearney
Department of Teacher Education
COE B-189
1615 W. 24th Street
Kearney, NE 68849
Preferred Phone:  309-319-6341
Office Phone: 308-865-8613
FAX:  FAX:  308-865-8097
Book an Appointment with Me

Rick Hughes

This is a great conversation on an important topic.

Could an audio clip be added at the top of a lesson's page to enable a person with a visual impairment to listen to the content? 

Would a screen reader see the audio clip and provide a prompt for the individual to click to listen to the audio?

Sharon English

Hi Elizabeth  - whilst Rise does not fully support screen readers, testing we've done with JAWS does (for the most part) work. Even if an authoring tool is classified as accessible, poor design can still result in a finished product that is not. For example, drag and drop activities. It is also important to remember that accessibility is for all disability types, not just for visual impairment. So Rise can work, you just need to really consider the design. The main issue in Rise is the lack of Heading styles (eg H1, H2 etc) which screen readers use for navigation purposes, and there are certain functions that screen readers tend to get stuck in (from memory, labelled diagram is one).

To answer your question in relation to Storyline blocks- the integrity of the block functionality has been maintained in all the testing we have done. 

Sharon English

Hi Beth, I think it is important to point out that even if an authoring tool is classified as accessible, poor design can lead to a eLearning module that does not meet WCAG standards or result in an accessible course simply because the authoring tool was capable of doing so. Much like MS Word, you can create a document that is accessible, or one that is not simply because you don't know how.  Perhaps Articulate can put together some short courses on how to use Storyline to create an accessible course. Or maybe run a series of challenges in the theme?

Sharon English

They have for me Elizabeth. I needed to create a number of scenarios and used Storyline block with customised tab orders and that worked. I also created a few quiz blocks as the Rise knowledge check has a 'try again' button even if the learner has responded correctly. This is confusing for vision impaired learners. Again, all Storyline functionality worked within Rise.

Crystal Horn

Hi folks. Editing my reply to answer the most recent query! So far, we’ve increased the contrast for built-in course features, added alt text for images, and added keyboard-accessible navigation. And we’re currently working on full screen reader support.

I don't have an update about additional features just yet, but since you've replied here, you'll be notified when we share more information. Thanks!

Fiona Macelli

It's great to see that Rise is working on becoming more accessible!  This is timely, as we were about to abandon use of it for this reason!

I noticed more keyboard features than before so I looked into it and found this article https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Keyboard-Accessible-Navigation .  I don't have JAWS installed right now for testing, but can I assume that a screen reader reads the text as it is 'tabbed-to'?  What about the body text and headings?  It doesn't appear to function the way Storyline does in that the in-focus element is visible when using the keyboard so I can't anticipate what the screen reader will be reading in the same way that I can with Storyline. It appears as though it isn't possible to tab to the body text or header - just images and interactive elements. Does that mean that body text won't be read by a screen-reader?