Rise Quotation Image

Apr 10, 2017

Hi, I really love using the quotation image but am wondering why there is an opening quotation and no closing quotation.  Also, some learners have reported that they are having trouble seeing the text on the image.  I do not see the same problem when I play the course and set up my resolution the same as those encountering the problem.  Any ideas?

21 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Pam,

Thanks for checking out Rise and glad to hear the quotation blocks are helping you out! Having the opening quotation mark and no closing one is a design decision, and pretty common for styling block quotes and if you do a Google image search for "blockquotes images" you'll see a few different examples of that  (here were my results):

Do you know what device or browser your other users were viewing the courses on? That could be a part of the difference so you'll want to make sure they're testing it out with one of the browsers here. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Pamela,

First just wanted to also give you a heads up that responding via email includes your signature here in ELH. You are welcome to visit the forum discussion and click on the "edit" below your post to remove that information. No worries on our part - just in case you don't want your information publicly! 

Do you have a link to the Rise course - we'd be happy to give it a test as well? Or have you been able to get a screenshot from the other users of what they're seeing? That would help us narrow down what's causing the display differences! 

Making every day  the best it can be

Hi Crystal

Our Brand manager wants the quotation to also be closed. You only have them open - your design feature. She feels it looks like we have grammar issues!

Kind regards,

Jacqueline
[cid:image003.png@01D30F5E.0979B530]

Jacqueline Chu | Learning & Organisational Development Consultant, People and Culture

PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS - NOMINATE NOW! www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017PeoplesChoiceAwards

Allity | Making every day the best it can be
Level 1, 39 Albany Street, Crows Nest NSW 2065
T 02 9431 1038 | F 02 9431 1005
www.allity.com.au

Crystal Horn

Hi Jacqueline.  Thanks for the clarification.  As a workaround, could you use a block with text on an image, and use quotation marks in the text?

I hope that gets you closer to what your brand needs!

By the way, responding via email attaches your signature with contact info.  You can edit it out if you'd like!

Judy Zhong

The templates for the quotations are great, but I don't always use them for quotes. I like to put text on them to present them visually nicer. For one of the templates they automatically put the quotation marks, and I can't delete them. I don't want the quotes around a simple block of text, but at the same time I want the information display nicer like this. Is there something I can do to get rid of the marks?

Natalie Sikes

Is there a way to remove the quotes from the text from the quote block? It would be nice if there was a checkbox that gave users the option to hide quotes if needed. I would like to use the quote block as another type of text/image layout option since the available options with images are fairly limited.

R. Eric Smith

I too would like the quote marks removed from the template. The Quote D block would have perfect for reproducing the Example I want to make (shown below) except for the stupid quote marks.

Note to designers: we don't always want convenience. Typing two extra characters does not take a lot of time.

Sian Westcombe

Would love the quotation marks removed.  As R. Eric Smith says, we can easily add them in if needed.  Really frustrating as I like the layout of the quote blocks but I don't always want to use them for quotes.  I know the statement option is available but quotes give me just what I need (if only those quote marks were not there.

Chris Roetzer

Seems a toggle button to display or hide would be an easy add. Anyway, changing the focus a bit... I'm unsure if this is the best thread for this but I see a bug I didn't know about in Quote C block...

Using a Quote C block, with a transparent background (BG) png image, Rise is essentially ignoring the transparency and "filling it" as white. This appears to be a 2-part bug, that's bug part 1. My image is a circle crop headshot, with a transparent BG.

What caught my eye initially was the "white squared" png stood out since my Quote block was filled with pale yellow. I re-checked I have a transp. BG, yes. I tried filling the transparency with the same pale yellow which improved the issue, but then I caught what I can't fix, bug part 2: Rise seems to layer the image on top of the quote marks which doesn't work since the corner of the image blocks the quotation mark. Using Rise's crop tool doesn't help, it's only square crop anyway. And I don't have time to recreate the part of the quote that's masked onto the upper right of my image. What say, Rise?

Attached a screen shot, nm the blurs to obscure content but the arrow marks the spot!