Storyline blocks accessibility in Rise?

Feb 28, 2020

Hi there:

As far as I can tell, Articulate is still working on making the questions in Rise accessible (and readable by a screen reader). 

Is a question built-in Storyline and added to Rise as a SL block visible to screenreaders or otherwise accessible?

My thanks in advance -

Pete

9 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

You're right, Peter! We're still working on full screen reader support. If you were to use a screen reader in Rise 360 now, you might find that it doesn't work as you'd expect. 

Our target timeframe for WCAG 2.1 compliance is by the end of 2020, but of course we'll let you know if we reach our goal sooner than that!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Pete,

Since screen readers aren't yet supported in Rise 360, I would not expect it to interact reliably with any block type, including Storyline Blocks.

Once screen readers are supported, we'll have more details on how screen readers should interact with Storyline Blocks. We'll share that information as it's available!

Jay Cooper

Alyssa...I want to follow up on Pete's question, actually the theme of his question. 

We're in the process of converting a large number of Flash courses (built in an obsolete authoring tool) and I was contemplating using Rise.  Do I understand correctly that anything built with Rise won't be 508 compliant?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jay!

Rise 360 isn't 508 compliant yet. Our ultimate goal is to meet accessibility guidelines. So far, we’ve increased the contrast for built-in course features, added alt text for images, and added keyboard-accessible navigation. And we’re currently working on full screen reader support. Stay tuned!

Ivana Zinajic

Hi, @Marvie and @Alyssa,

I am creating a course in Rise, and have added a block containing some Storyline interactivity. However, the test screenreader is not recognising the Storyline block at all. I checked the Accessibility of the individual elements in storyline, and they are fine, but I was wondering if there is any other setting I should check in the Storyline before I export it to Rise?

Thank you.